Video/Bluray Playback (No Gaming)

burnedby89

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I am looking for a new video card to playback blu-ray/video files (no gaming) compatible with 120hz as well as hdmi audio/video

Here are my specs:

AMD X2 6000+
Abit KN9-SLI
EVGA 8600GT X2 in SLI
4gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400

Hooking my computer up to
Sony KDL-52V5100 52" 1080P 120 HZ
Sony DAV-HDX589W Surround Sound

I am looking to have hdmi native video /audio graphics card to hook into TV, along xbox etc. then output via optical output to my home theater

Budget is between $100-150

My findings so far:

Looking to stay with ATI, as Nvidia requires cables/adapters for audio/video through native hdmi

Best for the price Radeon HD 5750 1gb / possibly 5770 on sale
Brands:
Found Sapphire Vapor-X better rated than XFX 5750 with cooler / overclocked 10mhz more
but XFX 5750 lifetime warranty

Any recommendations between brands (Asus, Powercolor, HIS, Diamond, Sapphire, XFX, etc.)

As well as a different video card for my optimal uses?

Thanks

The Sony KDL-52V5100 52" 1080P 120 HZ (like all HDTV) take 60hz sources. It's internal electronics creates interpolated image in between every two real frames to "improve" video quality and smoothness. That's how "120Hz" works for HDTVs.

A HD 4650 is enough for your needs. You can wait for the HD 5650 / 5670 which are expected to be released on January 21st.

The HD 5770 is good for both video and moderate gaming.

As far as brands; XFX probably has the best customer service and longest warranty in case something goes wrong. Asus is good. Sapphire only offers a 1 year warranty I think, but I've bought Sapphire before and never had issues. HIS is good, unless there's a rebate involved; whatever company they use to handle rebates tend to handle it rather poorly.

Does your TV have an optical out? will it pass digital audio from hdmi out to your reciever? best test it with the xbox first. Otherwise if your going to have to run seperate cables then your rig is fine as is.

jaguarskx is right as far as a new vid card for you is concerned.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
If you arent gaming even the 4650 is overkill. You dont need to spend that much if you arent gaming. Consider a 4350 or 4550 as well. You do want to make certain to get a 1 gb card if you are playing at high resolutions, however.

The important thing is just to find a card with the proper plugs.

burnedby89

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Will a better video card though improve the image seen on my 52" LCD? It seemed like the ATI 5000 series had more colors available, which is figured could help improve the image quality. Ex: When looking at images via facebook / google ect. they are a lot more blurred when compared to looking at them on a 20" lcd?
Thanks

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Image quality is mostly dependent on the monitor/screen you are using. I dont really think there is a variation in image quality between a low end graphics card and a high end one.

Edit: what do you mean by "blurred"? Your monitor/tv is capable of displaying resolutions VASTLY higher than anything that is available on the internet (including HD internet video).

With most LCD TV you can set the display mode manually. With both my samsung dlp and my LG LCD using the scan option always yeilded better results vs. setting the display mode manually.

Also you may want to enlarge the dpi a bit and make sure you have clear type enabled. Many of the GPU accelerated options are only available with premium playback software. So make sure your software supports it.

My recommendation is based off of the following review due to video quality scores. The HD 46xx and 9600GT tied with the highest scores:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/media-playback_6.html#sect0

1GB of RAM is unimportant for video playback as far as I know, unless video files now have embedded texture files within them for some odd reason. For gaming, yes 1GB of RAM can improve gaming performance if the video card is fast enough. The HD 46xx and lower are too slow to really make much use of 1GB of RAM.