Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is AMD Overdrive good for overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 4, 2012 12:17:02 AM

ok, i have just recently decided i want to start trying to overclock my CPU. My current specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (soon will be switching to an FX 8120 BE processor, long story, dont ask :p )
MSI 970a g46 mobo
Corsair 8 gig Vengeance ram
700w OCZ ModXStream PSU
Corsair H60 water cooler (with arctic silver 5 applied, had to reseat the cpu once....)

anymore specs needed, just ask. anyways, like i said im getting into Overclocking, and all this manual overclocking stuff confuses the hell outta me. i see that my motherboard and processor both have things can help me overclock. i have tried the MSI OC genie II... its utter crap. AMD OVerdrive is the only thing i have used with any hint of success.

with that being said, i was wondering if anyone here has any experience using Overdrive. Ive noticed that the AMD Overdrive utility has a Stability test on it. Is it an accurate stability test? I managed to run OC'ed at 4.2 with 1.5v on Prime95 for a good hour and half (i know its recommended to run longer than that, but it was a trial run) is 1.5 too much or too little for 4.2? my main goal is to run it at the advertised 4.0. i want to know about what voltage setting i should have it on to achieve 4.0 with frying my cpu. the general thing im hearing is it doesnt need 1.5, as thats too much (ar thats atleast what every google search tells me)

i would be extremely grateful if yall could clear somethings up for me. thanks for your time :) 

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 12:33:53 AM
Share

if manual overclocking confuses you, then dont touch overdrive

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi... this will tell you all you need to know

1.5V is good for 4.2, mine cant run 4.1 stable at 1.55V

AMD reccomends a max of 1.55V for K10 chips so just don't go too far past that
September 4, 2012 12:40:04 AM

nna2 said:
if manual overclocking confuses you, then dont touch overdrive

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi... this will tell you all you need to know

1.5V is good for 4.2, mine cant run 4.1 stable at 1.55V

AMD reccomends a max of 1.55V for K10 chips so just don't go too far past that



its not really that it confuses me all that much. its just peoples wording with it. for the most part it seems as they are trying to purposely keep me in the dark. ill read that when i have more of a chance to let the knowledge sink in. and what i get from that is overdrive and manul are one in the same correct? only difference, Overdrive takes place in Windows and not the bios? im looking into OC becuase as i said, i will be switching from my Phenom II X4 to an FX 8120. and with its base clock being lower than the phenom, i dont want to possibly bottle the graphics card i plan on buying (radeon hd 7970)
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 12:55:34 AM

is this a strict gaming build? if it is you're only harming yourself moving to fx
September 4, 2012 12:57:51 AM

nna2 said:
is this a strict gaming build? if it is you're only harming yourself moving to fx


it is a gaming build, but i bought the processor out of deperation. my computer was basically dead in the water and i had exhausted practically all options to get it back up and running. one of the issues was that i had bent a good bit of pins reseating the X4. it took me 8 hours to bend them all back straight. i bought that because i wanted to try a new amd processor. its for gaming, but its not all i do. i dont have gpus in sli or anything like that. im happy being able to play bf3 on med-high settings
September 4, 2012 1:40:34 AM

another thing. yes, i have read several thousand things saying that it isnt all that great of a cpu. mainly, i dont like listening to intel fanboys bash something they themselves have never used. i will give everything a proper chance. i may like the FX 8120 for my purposes. that being said, ive heard that there are ways to get it to disable 4 cores, making it a four core processor. would disabling four cores and OC'ing to about 4.0, maybe 4.2, make the CPU better overall for gaming. i dont want to compare it against an overpriced intel processor. i just want to know if it will be up there in the ball park of my phenom II if i do that? or if anyone knows of any sort of AMD or Windows released update that will make it perform better. i would like to know how to get the most out of the 8120 i have. i dont have 1000s to spend on an intel machine, granted now all i would have to spend is about 600 to get a intel motherboard and proccesor. their stuff is still to expensive for my taste
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 3:22:57 AM

FX will not be an improvement in a gaming machine
September 4, 2012 5:22:08 AM

U're right about disable the second core in the module it will give much performance boost,

but we paid for full cores, disabling the core makes our money wasted IMO (It'll better go with PII proc)....

still waiting for PD.....
September 4, 2012 12:50:52 PM

nna2 said:
FX will not be an improvement in a gaming machine


never claimed to be looking for an "improvement". amazingly, you appear to possess the ability to read. reread my last statement where i said i bought it to replace what i thought to be a dead Phenom II. honestly i came looking for advice on how to best utilize OC of the FX 8120 to make it good enough to game with. if you cant help with that shut up and let someone with an opinion that actually matters speak. im sorry you caught me in a bad mood, but dont respond if you cant help me. telling me its not an improvement isnt helping me, nor is it answering ANY of the questions i asked above (which before you were actually doin a good job). hell this topic isnt even about what you think of my processor choice. end rant.

and at rdc85, if i can get a performance boost from disabling 4 of the cores, im all for it. especially if this processor can OC higher than the Phenom II X4. i heard success stories of this processor being clocked from 4.5 all the way on up to 5.0. and if its true that it requires less voltage to get to 4.2 than the X4 does, then thats even better. so, in a way, i will be getting what i paid for.

now, i will repeat this: the FX 8120 purchase was to replace the X4 which i thought to be dead. all routes led back to CPU being non functional.so, that is why that purchase was made. i hope no one comes up and asks "why did you buy that? intel 4eva" or "the phenom is better, you should've stuck with it" ..... if you come at me with either of those responses, please.... do the world a favor and remove yourself from the collective gene pool, preferably in a way where no one of value has to deal with you after you are gone.

thanks to those who actual read this and answer my questions :D 
September 4, 2012 1:33:36 PM

I not owning any of FX, so cannot said this true.....

As i'm read in some articels by disabling one "core" of each module will give better performance...
the BD "cores" share same resource in the module, if the apps/games not optimized so there no resource conflic then it will run poorly. by disable one "core" the conflic is none..
It the same thing as Hyperthreading, if the apps/games cannot used it, it will better to turn off the HT feature...

That what i'm get from reading it..

back to the topic:
I'm not knowledgeable in O.C
Never used Amd Overdrive to O.C (just using bios)
Cannot give u advaice on O.C....
Just commenting your post about disable "core" :D 

hehe.... peace
September 4, 2012 1:35:45 PM

rdc85 said:
I not owning any of FX, so cannot said this true.....

As i'm read in some articels by disabling one "core" of each module will give better performance...
the BD "cores" share same resource in the module, if the apps/games not optimized so there no resource conflic then i will run poorly. by disable one "core" the conflic is none..
It the same thing as Hyperthreading, if the apps/games cannot used it, it will better to turn off the HT feature...

That what i'm get from reading it..

back to the topic:
I'm not knowledgeable in O.C
Never used Amd Overdrive to O.C (just using bios)
Cannot give u advaice on O.C....
Just commenting your post about disable "core" :D 

hehe.... peace



well thanks for atleast furthering the conversation :) 
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2012 4:51:31 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
never claimed to be looking for an "improvement". amazingly, you appear to possess the ability to read. reread my last statement where i said i bought it to replace what i thought to be a dead Phenom II. honestly i came looking for advice on how to best utilize OC of the FX 8120 to make it good enough to game with. if you cant help with that shut up and let someone with an opinion that actually matters speak. im sorry you caught me in a bad mood, but dont respond if you cant help me. telling me its not an improvement isnt helping me, nor is it answering ANY of the questions i asked above (which before you were actually doin a good job). hell this topic isnt even about what you think of my processor choice. end rant.

and at rdc85, if i can get a performance boost from disabling 4 of the cores, im all for it. especially if this processor can OC higher than the Phenom II X4. i heard success stories of this processor being clocked from 4.5 all the way on up to 5.0. and if its true that it requires less voltage to get to 4.2 than the X4 does, then thats even better. so, in a way, i will be getting what i paid for.

now, i will repeat this: the FX 8120 purchase was to replace the X4 which i thought to be dead. all routes led back to CPU being non functional.so, that is why that purchase was made. i hope no one comes up and asks "why did you buy that? intel 4eva" or "the phenom is better, you should've stuck with it" ..... if you come at me with either of those responses, please.... do the world a favor and remove yourself from the collective gene pool, preferably in a way where no one of value has to deal with you after you are gone.

thanks to those who actual read this and answer my questions :D 


ah sorry, i missed that detail

if you disable the last 2 modules you may be able to get a few more MHz out of it, but you may as well buy the FX 4100 and save some money :p 

edit:if you can find a Phenom II cpu on newegg or where ever, i would recommend that as well
September 5, 2012 3:35:03 PM

nna2 said:
ah sorry, i missed that detail

if you disable the last 2 modules you may be able to get a few more MHz out of it, but you may as well buy the FX 4100 and save some money :p 

edit:if you can find a Phenom II cpu on newegg or where ever, i would recommend that as well



i have absolutely ZERO desire to buy another processor. i wont be buying another for atleast a year. i just want to get the most out of what i have for the time being. so i will not buy another phenom, or an FX 4100, or any overpriced intel processor. yes, my Phenom still works, but at the time that it didnt, i bought the FX 8120. i still intend to use it, but if *I* dont like it, i will switch back.

now to the topics of this thread: will disabling cores on the 8120 lower its power usage? i believe it would, but im not entirely confident in that answer.
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 4:39:17 PM

yes it will, it should use around what a FX 4100 will
September 6, 2012 12:03:51 AM

nna2 said:
yes it will, it should use around what a FX 4100 will


well that would be good :D  im not going to overclock it majorily at first tho. also, by reducing the number of cores, and effictively the amount of power it needs, do u think i would be able to reach around 4.0 at stock?
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 2:16:36 AM

4GHz should be easy with an H60 installed
September 6, 2012 2:35:11 AM

nna2 said:
4GHz should be easy with an H60 installed


but what kinda voltage do you think it would need? would stock be good? 1.35? 1.4? i dont wanna go to high when i go to overclock, but i also dont wanna go too low. i seriously doubt i will be anywhere 1.5 tho, especially just going to 4.0
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 12:14:56 PM

Overdrive: Yes and No.

Pros:

on the fly tweaks to certain settings and voltages and timings.
stability tester
user friendly.

Cons:

You can't tweek FSB related settings so you do lose a bit of the subtlety of overclocking.
September 6, 2012 1:09:39 PM

sarinaide said:
Overdrive: Yes and No.

Pros:

on the fly tweaks to certain settings and voltages and timings.
stability tester
user friendly.

Cons:

You can't tweek FSB related settings so you do lose a bit of the subtlety of overclocking.


FSB?
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 1:15:59 PM

You cannot tweek your bus speeds, you are locked at the 200mhz.
September 6, 2012 1:16:59 PM

sarinaide said:
You cannot tweek your bus speeds, you are locked at the 200mhz.


eh, ive got no problem with that at them moment
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 1:22:35 PM

sarinaide said:
You cannot tweek your bus speeds, you are locked at the 200mhz.

really? i could just never find where the VCore option was
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 1:24:57 PM

I am old school bios guy so I am rather new to this overdrive scorpius business. I will have a look again but I wasn't satisfied with the experience it just feels overclick clocking.
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 1:43:24 PM

yeah i agree, i found my bios easier to use than overdrive... more in order in my opinion
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 1:57:05 PM

ASUS/ROG bios is rather user friendly.
September 6, 2012 8:34:14 PM

ok, so i just made the switch to the FX 8120. im using an ASUS M5A99X evo motherboard.i decided to run my cpu at stock for the time being. im running core temp at the moment, and i do believe my eyes are decieving me.... im idling at 17 degrees celcius O.o is that normal? hell.. is that even possible?

edit... core temp is obviously wrong >.< even with arctic silver 5 on a h60, i would never even get close to that. right now, im doing a OC test run from the BIOS, not Overdrive. i have the bus set to 201, and the multiplier set to 17. suprisinlgly it reached 3.4 at 1.24v (with 4 cores disabled)
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2012 8:39:59 PM

Depends on the ambient temperatures but yes it is very possible.
September 13, 2012 12:32:54 AM

sarinaide said:
Depends on the ambient temperatures but yes it is very possible.


its been a few days, but i thought i would update yall on the OC'ing venture. Firstly, my Corsair h60 water cooler died :/  so i havent actually been able to OC the fx8120. it was going as low as 17 degrees, which didnt seem right, and then started to jump around like crazy. then i got an overheating warning the other day. i figured it was just the 8120. i swapped mobos, and proccessors. all combinations=same results. i was getting false readings cause the pump was failing.

i have overclocked to 4.1 on my phenom for a good few hours while playing BF3 on ultra (using a stock cooler). never got above 60. i guess i owe that to the layout i have in my case now. i used the "lite" version of AMD overdrive that came with Catalyst Control. tho i think im starting to understand how to do it manually now.
a c 229 À AMD
a c 209 K Overclocking
September 15, 2012 12:17:15 AM

4.0ghz on the FX8120 is easy with an aftermarket cooler.but won't happen on stock,way to hot.
September 17, 2012 3:38:49 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
4.0ghz on the FX8120 is easy with an aftermarket cooler.but won't happen on stock,way to hot.



i realize this. im waiting till i can replace my corsair h60, probably going to get a h80, or a noctua if it will fit my case, cause those things are massive >.<
a c 229 À AMD
a c 209 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 12:50:13 PM

You might get a little above 4 but not much.
September 19, 2012 11:57:39 PM

Best answer selected by GeneralJim25.
November 24, 2013 4:20:04 PM

I use an fx 6300 on an asus m5a 78lx board. Using AMD overdrive, I am able to get 4.6 ghz. With CoolerMaster 212 and dual fans, I run at 115 deg F. My cpu Voltage is 1.32. Multiplier is 22 (cpu core)with ref clk at 208 and ht multiplier at 11. Don't know if this helps. Everyone says the FX is not good for OC, but it seems fine to me. IF the Phenom is better for OC, then yes, the AMD OD will work fine. IF you then want to use the BIOS, just copy the values from the OD and input them into the BIOS. You may need to run fewer cores though

GeneralJim25 said:
ok, i have just recently decided i want to start trying to overclock my CPU. My current specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (soon will be switching to an FX 8120 BE processor, long story, dont ask :p )
MSI 970a g46 mobo
Corsair 8 gig Vengeance ram
700w OCZ ModXStream PSU
Corsair H60 water cooler (with arctic silver 5 applied, had to reseat the cpu once....)

anymore specs needed, just ask. anyways, like i said im getting into Overclocking, and all this manual overclocking stuff confuses the hell outta me. i see that my motherboard and processor both have things can help me overclock. i have tried the MSI OC genie II... its utter crap. AMD OVerdrive is the only thing i have used with any hint of success.

with that being said, i was wondering if anyone here has any experience using Overdrive. Ive noticed that the AMD Overdrive utility has a Stability test on it. Is it an accurate stability test? I managed to run OC'ed at 4.2 with 1.5v on Prime95 for a good hour and half (i know its recommended to run longer than that, but it was a trial run) is 1.5 too much or too little for 4.2? my main goal is to run it at the advertised 4.0. i want to know about what voltage setting i should have it on to achieve 4.0 with frying my cpu. the general thing im hearing is it doesnt need 1.5, as thats too much (ar thats atleast what every google search tells me)

i would be extremely grateful if yall could clear somethings up for me. thanks for your time :) 


!