Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Whats up with the 5xxx drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 6:03:41 PM

Just wondering why I am getting so many PM's from people needing help with the new drivers from ATI? When is this going to be addressed? I would think that by now ATI would have a decent driver that works w/o any issues. Some people complain that thier 5970 does not run eye-finity, some say that they get artifacts with their 5850 or 5870.. This is just ridiculous. I mean the cards are new but this is just unnaceptable. I was going to invest in dual 5770's but if the drivers are not up to par then i might as well wait for the 3xx series...

Back in the day I used to own the x1600PRO and the 2400XT and I had no issues whatsoever as far as drivers go...What happend since then? :( 

I did a bit of reaserch over at the Egg just to see what complaints I would find and most negative reviews are based on poor driver support. many are from Nvidia users that switched to ATI and they are not happy campers... This thread was not created to compare both brands but we need a medium here. I have yet to see a recent GF review that talks about poor drivers from Nvidia... AMD what is going ON!!!!???

More about : whats 5xxx drivers

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 6:07:52 PM

Just bought two 5770's, both run perfectly with or without eyefinity using the latest catalyst 9.12.

In summary, user error.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 6:11:02 PM

Cant say I've had any problems with the 9.12 drivers and my 5850, although I'm not using eyefinity.

I read about people having trouble with crossfire and eyefinity working together, maybe 10.1 drivers will fix it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 6:15:34 PM

Not all the bad reviews are user error. I can userstand if there were a few only but you can go check for yourself if you'd like. The 5970's have not so great reviews either and that says alot since you have to shell out 700.00$ for such a card ... Im not doggin AMD, on the contrary but when more than 50% of the users are complaining that normally means something is not right... That is like saying Nvidia users are smart and ATI users are dumb.. So no not user error here.. Maybe a few but not all...
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 7:34:16 PM

It's like this, the first drivers for a new card are always dodgy, ATI or Nvidia.

If you like I'll point out some reviews of Nvidia cards where games crashed or just refused to run (hell I can still do that with the gtx295). or issues with dx10.1 on those release drivers too.

There will be another driver released on Monday which no doubt fixes most of the issues with the 5970. Everything else I'm sure is completely fine. I just installed two different 5770's, the 9.12 drivers crossfired them immediately without me having to do a thing, I set up eyefinity with no issues whatsoever and all the games I tried except Mass Effect ran perfectly.
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 7:39:43 PM

I havent had a single problem with my 5870/ 9.12 drivers yet. Also didnt have any problems with 9.11 either.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 7:40:38 PM

Yea same here, I built a P55 not too long ago with dual 5770's and did not encounter any issues. But a few days later my neighbor purchased a 5970 (Diamond) and it was artifacting with the current drivers. He ended up RMA'ing the GPU and the same issue came up with the second card...Not sure what's going on....Just the fact that you spend a big chunk of money on a card to later find out that it was a brick and not an actual GPU.....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 7:49:48 PM

Quote:
It's like this, the first drivers for a new card are always dodgy, ATI or Nvidia.

If you like I'll point out some reviews of Nvidia cards where games crashed or just refused to run (hell I can still do that with the gtx295). or issues with dx10.1 on those release drivers too.

There will be another driver released on Monday which no doubt fixes most of the issues with the 5970. Everything else I'm sure is completely fine. I just installed two different 5770's, the 9.12 drivers crossfired them immediately without me having to do a thing, I set up eyefinity with no issues whatsoever and all the games I tried except Mass Effect ran perfectly.


Yea but these cards are going on 4 months already.. they are not considered new anymore. Show me a batch of recent Nvidia complaints and I will give you the benfit of the doubt... I know a few peeps here on Toms that have anything from the 260 to the 295 and I do not see anyone complaining about the drivers... Some will have an issue or two that can easily be fixed by reverting to a previous driver... That does not work for the 5 series, specially for the 5970 .....
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 8:16:36 PM

I think your overstating your case. Right now ATI have the only cards worth buying as a result are selling hundreds of thousands of 5000 series cards (nearly two million cards have been shipped according to Richard Hubby head of AMD's technical development).

Now assuming that faulty hardware rates are only 1% (more realisticley that would be 4% to 5%) that would still mean twenty thousand cards that have problems. Now that's a lot of cards that people will need help with, add on top that people who don't know what there doing and people who have had broken cards due to damage in transit you can see why you might see a few more threads on here (and other places) about faulty ATI 5000 series cards then any other.

Also bear in mind people who are happy with the cards aren't likely to post a thread just to say they are happy with there purchase and there are no problems with the card or the drivers.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:22:58 PM

JeanLuc said:
I think your overstating your case. Right now ATI have the only cards worth buying as a result are selling hundreds of thousands of 5000 series cards (nearly two million cards have been shipped according to Richard Hubby head of AMD's technical development).

Now assuming that faulty hardware rates are only 1% (more realisticley that would be 4% to 5%) that would still mean twenty thousand cards that have problems. Now that's a lot of cards that people will need help with, add on top that people who don't know what there doing and people who have had broken cards due to damage in transit you can see why you might see a few more threads on here (and other places) about faulty ATI 5000 series cards then any other.

Also bear in mind people who are happy with the cards aren't likely to post a thread just to say they are happy with there purchase and there are no problems with the card or the drivers.


Agreed but same goes for Nvidia, you do not see anyone posting how awesome their 260 is over whatever ATI has to offer cause it would make no sense. My point is that if you look here on toms under the GPU section you will see a string of issues related to the 5 series weather it is drivers or just overall faulty.. You barley see any Nvidia owners complaining... That my point ;)  ...

I just thought that at this point in time the positives would outweigh the negatives by a large margin and this is not the case....
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 8:27:31 PM

OvrClkr said:
Agreed but same goes for Nvidia, you do not see anyone posting how awesome their 260 is over whatever ATI has to offer cause it would make no sense. My point is that if you look here on toms under the GPU section you will see a string of issues related to the 5 series weather it is drivers or just overall faulty.. You barley see any Nvidia owners complaining... That my point ;)  ...

I just thought that at this point in time the positives would outweigh the negatives by a large margin and this is not the case....


You seem to have already made up your mind, so why not get a nvidia card then. Also like someone said before it could be faulty cards/ or people who didnt uninstall previous drivers and or software conflicts.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:38:14 PM

I already have an Nvidia card... I want to pair up my Crosshair with dual 5770's soon but I do not want to hit a wall when it comes to driver related issues...Not so concerned about faulty equipment since that just takes a simple RMA....
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 8:40:34 PM

I don't think the tom's community who PMs you or the threads on this page are an accurate representation of how the 5k series drivers are. Just saying. My 2 5870's are just peachy.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 8:42:27 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yea but these cards are going on 4 months already.. they are not considered new anymore. Show me a batch of recent Nvidia complaints and I will give you the benfit of the doubt... I know a few peeps here on Toms that have anything from the 260 to the 295 and I do not see anyone complaining about the drivers... Some will have an issue or two that can easily be fixed by reverting to a previous driver... That does not work for the 5 series, specially for the 5970 .....


Why would older drivers work on a 5970? Do you think the current Nvidia drivers will work with Fermi when (if) it gets released? :lol: 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 8:44:34 PM

OvrClkr said:
Agreed but same goes for Nvidia, you do not see anyone posting how awesome their 260 is over whatever ATI has to offer cause it would make no sense. My point is that if you look here on toms under the GPU section you will see a string of issues related to the 5 series weather it is drivers or just overall faulty.. You barley see any Nvidia owners complaining... That my point ;)  ...

I just thought that at this point in time the positives would outweigh the negatives by a large margin and this is not the case....


That's got more to do with Nvidia not having any cards to sell.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:44:37 PM

I'm not sure how much the problem is with the drivers as it is with overly ambitious memory clocks with the stock cooling design. I believe that with the 5870's and 5970's, people are having overheating issues due to having the clock speeds a little too close to their limit to not have heating issues. The 5770's shouldn't have as many issues.

I found that to add stability (and have yet to have an issue myself since the change) I underclocked the memory and overclocked the core. I ended up with more performance than stock, with none of the issues of artifacting or the gray vertical lines.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:46:42 PM

Quote:
Why would older drivers work on a 5970? Do you think the current Nvidia drivers will work with Fermi when (if) it gets released? :lol: 


What I meant is the first/previous 5 series drivers do not work with the 5970.... The 5970 only works with 9.11 or above .... I never said that the 5970 would work with the 4 series drivers :pfff:  ....Even the 9.12 Hotfix drivers are buggy for the 5970....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 8:51:15 PM

Quote:
That's got more to do with Nvidia not having any cards to sell.


Nvidia is still selling plenty, maybe not as much as AMD but that is not the point... My point is that we should not be having this many issues at this point in time. When the 4 series launched there were a few issues here n there but not what we see today. I even remember when the 4870x2 came out... That was basically the only card that was causing issues and it was not even related to drivers, it was heat or overall bad ram issues....
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 8:53:58 PM

OvrClkr said:
What I meant is the first/previous 5 series drivers do not work with the 5970.... The 5970 only works with 9.11 or above .... I never said that the 5970 would work with the 4 series drivers :pfff:  ....Even the 9.12 Hotfix drivers are buggy for the 5970....


...

Why would the previous 5 series drivers work with the 5970 when the card wasn't even released?

The 5970 isn't even 2 months old.
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 8:58:11 PM

I'm not to satisfied either, my 5850 shows some artifacts from time to time(few times), screen goes greenish/grey then comes back up(1x), and had to reboot after waking up from sleep mode since the gpu fan went to 100% and had a blue screen.

My games crashed a few times too, seems most issues are with ppl having win 7 64 bit including me.

m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:02:54 PM

jaguarrr said:
I'm not to satisfied either, my 5850 shows some artifacts from time to time(few times), screen goes greenish/grey then comes back up(1x), and had to reboot after waking up from sleep mode since the gpu fan went to 100% and had a blue screen.

My games crashed a few times too, seems most issues are with ppl having win 7 64 bit including me.


I used to have this too until I underclocked the memory on it by 50. I overclocked the core by 50 at the same time. These problems vanished and I gained performance. It might be worth a try.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:03:47 PM

I dont' get it, did you all buy cards without a warranty or something?

If it doesn't work, send it back and get it replaced? I have sent back ~50% of all cards I've ever owned - a large number btw - both ATI and Nvidia.

This is cutting edge technology, and right now it is known to be on a flawed process (TSMC 40nm...google it).

Yes there are issues, yes there are failures but get a grip please. 2 million of these have been shipped, how many complaints have you really seen?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:04:37 PM

Quote:
...

Why would the previous 5 series drivers work with the 5970 when the card wasn't even released?

The 5970 isn't even 2 months old.


That is exactly what my point is....

You posted "Why would older drivers work on a 5970? Do you think the current Nvidia drivers will work with Fermi when (if) it gets released? :lol: "

And I posted "Some will have an issue or two that can easily be fixed by reverting to a previous driver... That does not work for the 5 series, specially for the 5970 "

Meaning you cannot just revert to a previous driver to fix the issue since they are too new ATM....

My post was directed to Nvidia users that can easily revert to a previous driver if needed.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:08:07 PM

OvrClkr said:
That is exactly what my point is....

You posted "Why would older drivers work on a 5970? Do you think the current Nvidia drivers will work with Fermi when (if) it gets released? :lol: "

And I posted "Some will have an issue or two that can easily be fixed by reverting to a previous driver... That does not work for the 5 series, specially for the 5970 "

Meaning you cannot just revert to a previous driver to fix the issue since they are too new ATM....



New process, new architecture, new version of DirectX, new version of windows.

Do I really have to go on? Wait and see what Fermi ends up like, this is a picnic in comparison.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:08:33 PM

Quote:
I dont' get it, did you all buy cards without a warranty or something?

If it doesn't work, send it back and get it replaced? I have sent back ~50% of all cards I've ever owned - a large number btw - both ATI and Nvidia.

This is cutting edge technology, and right now it is known to be on a flawed process (TSMC 40nm...google it).

Yes there are issues, yes there are failures but get a grip please. 2 million of these have been shipped, how many complaints have you really seen?


Too many ;)  ... That is why I started the thread.....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:09:55 PM

Quote:
New process, new architecture, new version of DirectX, new version of windows.

Do I really have to go on? Wait and see what Fermi ends up like, this is a picnic in comparison.


You are strating to sound like a Fanboy... That was not the intention of this thread. I have owned both AMD and Nvidia products before you were even concieved and to this date I find that these drivers are just unnaceptable, specially when the cards are 4 months old.... Some have 0 issues while others want to throw their 5 series card out the window... get it??

My issue is mainly with the current drivers, nothing else.....
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:10:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
Too many ;)  ... That is why I started the thread.....


Divide every one you've seen by 2 million then.
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 9:11:25 PM

Hehe picnic.

I like picnics.

I can't wait until it does come out (I wonder when tho...)
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:11:47 PM

OvrClkr said:
You are strating to sound like a Fanboy... That was not the inetntion of this thread. I have owned both AMD and Nvidia before you were even concieved... My issue is mainly with the current drivers....


I'm starting to sound like a fanboy? :D 

You started some nonsensical driver thing that most people have disagreed with. There is nothing wrong with the current drivers. Would you like to see my benchmarks for proof?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:14:02 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to sound like a fanboy? :D 

You started some nonsensical driver thing that most people have disagreed with. There is nothing wrong with the current drivers. Would you like to see my benchmarks for proof?


Dude, look at my previos post, you are nothing but an ATI fanboy waiting to blow... Not everyone is having driver issues but if you post on a daily basis here on Toms you will see a long string of driver complaints, this is nothing new, like I said, some have 0 issues while others do.....
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 9:17:28 PM

I don't like the drivers either.

In life stuff only gets better.

That's why performance increases from driver releases.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 9:18:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
Dude, look at my previos post, you are nothing but an ATI fanboy waiting to blow... Not everyone is having driver issues but if you post on a daily basis here on Toms you will see a long string of driver complaints, this is nothing new, like I said, some have 0 issues while others do.....


Ok let me point out something you clearly missed.

ATI have sold over 1 million of these cards, on a known problematic process, under a new version of windows and a new directx too.

Feel free to wait and see how awesomely Nvidia cope with it. I mean they've done so well recently, this should be easy right? Fact is Nvidia can't even do dx10.1 right.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:21:37 PM

I wonder if one reason I've had no driver issues (but a couple minor heat issues that has been resolved), is that I went ahead and sent info on my system to win7 several times for a couple weeks after a driver crash I had in the first couple days I owned the card.

I have never sent in info after crashes in the past, but I went ahead and did it this one time, and MS kept sending more requests for spec's on my system for a week or two. Anyways, I haven't had driver issues sinse.

Anyways, as far as this forum goes, I haven't seen a particularly high yield of ATI driver issues lately. Before thanksgiving, yes, even a little into december, but for a few weeks now, I thought I've seen a lot more Nvidia driver problems from people.

Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.
m
0
l
January 13, 2010 9:24:00 PM

Well it could be user error, but we've seen too many complaints.

Maybe it's a hardware incompatibility problem. We've just got to see what allthese failures have in common to determine the problem.

Either it's a real fault or someone continually posting.

Whatever it is, drivers will always cause problems.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 9:55:01 PM

Quote:
Ok let me point out something you clearly missed.

ATI have sold over 1 million of these cards, on a known problematic process, under a new version of windows and a new directx too.

Feel free to wait and see how awesomely Nvidia cope with it. I mean they've done so well recently, this should be easy right? Fact is Nvidia can't even do dx10.1 right.


Look, im not here to argue with you but SALES has nothing to do with the driver issues. Of course as time passes by we will get better drivers, im just surprised that at this point in time many are still having many complaints about the same thing. I want better driver support as well since I am a click away from ordering my 5770's. Not to say that I will have the same issues as most but it would be nice to see better drivers. That is all this thread is about. maybe you have never had a driver issue and that is why you are defending AMD to that extent. Me on the other hand disagree and would like to see better overall driver support.

m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2010 10:18:36 PM

OvrClkr said:
Look, im not here to argue with you but SALES has nothing to do with the driver issues. Of course as time passes by we will get better drivers, im just surprised that at this point in time many are still having many complaints about the same thing. I want better driver support as well since I am a click away from ordering my 5770's. Not to say that I will have the same issues as most but it would be nice to see better drivers. That is all this thread is about. maybe you have never had a driver issue and that is why you are defending AMD to that extent. Me on the other hand disagree and would like to see better overall driver support.


JESUS.

Of course SALES has a lot to do with driver issues. The #1 reason why you are reading about so much more ATI driver issues now isn't because of hardware probs, it's because ATI have sold more cards in the past 2 months than they ever did before. These issues exist for both sides, and always have, they were just not reported like this. The reason you are reading less Nvidia issues? Nobody is buying Nvidia cards!

Do you even realise that it took almost 1 year for ATI to sell 2 million 4850/4870 series cards? They have sold that already in 3 months! With a new problematic process, new windows and new dx11!

You don't like the issues? Wait for Fermi, just do the rest of us a favour and wait quietly instead of trying to spread garbage non-issues about ati drivers.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2010 10:33:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I have missed the link someone provided but is there any actual figures on known issues caused by the drivers and how many of the customer base is affected?

If not, wtf is this thread about?


This is not about known issues caused by the drivers. It's about the drivers period. Some are having an excellent time with their cards while others are just pist off... And way too many posts/pm's about "when will we get better drivers".. And I don't think 100% of those issues are user error related ;)  that's all.....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 12:54:55 AM

I've never had issues with either company's drivers that I couldn't fix myself, which simply leads me to the idea that was come to originally, too many FAQin idiots out there with money to buy new cards and whine about it but not money to get good tech support. Especially the knobs who never clean out their old drivers.

Show me something more than 'my neighbour' 'someone PMed me' etc. cause really, you're not providing much evidence of anything other than you're getting worked up about other people's st00pifity, and you're doing it in an annoying way. :pfff: 
m
0
l
!