Unlocked Athlon II 435 Question

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
So, a friend of mine under a tight budget wanted to buy a pc... he was looking for an Athlon 240 with some nvidia chipset am2+ mobo and so on...

Long story short I got him an Athlon II 435 Tri-Core @ 2.9Ghz

Built it up and he asked me about the unlocking story as he read up a lot on it...

So curious me, I have the machine next to me... I tried it.

Motherboard is an Asus M4A785T-M

CPU is unlocked, bus is bumped to 210...

Works FLAWLESSLY so far... no voltage bump... nothing

Running as a Quad Core Phenom Something @ 3.045Ghz

Running Prime95 as we speak, I do not have all 4 core temps for in HWmonitor and Realtemp tells me the CPU is unsupported... but I do have 2 temperatures under... Temperatures...
I Assume TMPIN0 is the CPU and that is stable at 51 on full load

This is with the OEM Heatsync and fan.

I RARELY overclock and this is a PC for my friend's younger brother...

Is there anyway I can kill the cpu doing this ??? as I said, I am not that big on overclocking but this was too easy and tempting.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

As long as the voltage is not too high and the temps are low then you should be fine. :)

Indeed. As I remember, unlocking a core will somehow prevent programs from detecting the temperatures of your cores.
To give you an idea though, I have an Athlon IIx2 620 overclock to 3.25GHz without increasing the voltage and on stock cooling it only goes up to 55C on load.

Don't forget to run prime95 for at least 8 hours to ensure stability. Especially since you are unlocking a core.

You can only kill the CPU by overheating or overvolting it. Both of which you are far from.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thanks a lot for the replies :)

I ran Prime95 for about 2 hours... Max temp I saw is 53 but I must admit, Open case and open window... (the good is a 12" fan behind the case and another one on the PSU) so ventilation is good.

Long story short, buddy picked it up already... told him Best to keep at tricore but seems to be good on quad... I also warned him that I didn't stress test it long enough... but it seems to be alright.

Love them cheep amd's best bang for the buck.