Sign in with
Your question

Thermal paste with heatsink and fan?

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:36:02 PM

Hi all,

This might be a silly question, but is thermal paste required even when using a heatsink and fan such as the Cooler Master 212? I'm looking to build a new system soon and would like to be safe rather than sorry.

If so, what would be a recommended thermal paste to use? Also is the Cooler Master 212 a good choice of HSFs?

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2010 11:50:02 PM

Yes, thermal paste is required. It's required for filling the micro-crevices between the CPU surface and heatsink base.

Artic Silver 5, Artic Cooling MX-7, etc are good pastes. But the CM 212 should come with thermal paste.
m
l
March 26, 2010 12:09:27 AM

Even though the CM 212 should come with thermal paste, should I still buy one of the others you recommended? Is there that much of a difference between thermal pastes?
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 12:26:37 AM

MikeFL said:
Even though the CM 212 should come with thermal paste, should I still buy one of the others you recommended? Is there that much of a difference between thermal pastes?

Just for general use I don't think you will notice a difference. It helps a lot to have a good case with good air flow, so don't forget that.
m
l
March 26, 2010 12:32:27 AM

I plan on keeping my current Antec 900 case so the airflow should remain fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 12:55:12 AM

Here's a review of many of the goo's out there. Reality is, unless you're going for a super high OC, most any will do. HSF goo can be changed after the fact if you don't want to buy something up front. Use the stuff from CM, and if you get the OC you want with acceptable temps, no need to buy more.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
!