Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 830 ssd contest Winners

Last response: in Storage
January 14, 2012 7:19:50 AM

Hey everybody,

Just wondering who all won the Samsung 830, and also who won the Grand Prize. I was one of the lucky few, but I'm curios what the other winners submitted. I'm sure many of the entry's were really clever, so non-winners should post too.

Civilian1
“A SSD is like an ink pen, easy to read, and easy to write with.

A HDD is like a paint brush, harder to read when wrote with, and takes longer to write with.

For the same reasons that we use pens, computers need SSD's. Speed, Efficiency.”

spidey180
"SSD or Samsung Snap Drive is what you need to get your system going Blazing fast."

warmon6
"A ssd is like a flash drive on an Adrenalin rush that stays on the inside of the computer" or something close to that.

January 18, 2012 5:36:26 AM

Congratulations to all the other winners! And for those who didn't win better luck next time. I won too!! By the way any idea as to when will the prize ship??
m
l
January 18, 2012 6:18:51 PM

Congrats! The last email I received stated I would be notified when shipping had commenced. Unfortunately I haven't been yet.......so your guess is as good as mine. What was your entry?
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 8:40:43 PM

I received the same mail and they asked me if I would prefer a laptop installation kit or a desktop one. Did they ask you the same?? I chose a laptop one what did you choose? :) 
My entry was"SSD or Samsung Snap Drive is what you need to get your system going Blazing fast."
m
l
January 20, 2012 10:49:02 AM

I chose the Desktop installation kit.
Did you get the latest email? I guess they were waiting for all the winners to respond before they started shipments. I cant wait to test it out!
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:01:53 AM

Hi there I didn't receive any latest mail. Even I can't wait to try it out!!
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:02:14 AM

Well,

Because of getting the emails, Im guessing i won too. :lol: 

All seriousness, yes i'm one of the winners as well. Although I didn't even think i was going to be selected as a winner. :lol:  I just entered it for fun (as normally i dont win anything :pt1cable:  ).

If memory severs right: I put in "A ssd is like a flash drive on an Adrenalin rush that stays on the inside of the computer" or something close to that.

Although now i need to accelerate my plans of a desktop rebuild. Have 1 dead desktop and no other computers with Sata 6Gb/s ports on them..... (well the desktop didn't even have sata 3 Gb/s but it's in the process of being replaced.... so i'll have sata 6Gb/s soon enough. :D )

Quote:
Congratulations to all the other winners! And for those who didn't win better luck next time. I won too!! By the way any idea as to when will the prize ship??

Well, from the email...

Quote:
I want to apologise for the delay and thank you for your patience, I will follow up with another message on the date of despatch

So they haven't sent it out yet but there in the pocess of getting things together. :bounce:  [:badge:5]
m
l
January 20, 2012 12:12:28 PM

Well, warmon6, its one He** of a good starter component. Congrats!
m
l
January 20, 2012 12:58:21 PM

civilian1 said:

[:badge:3]
m
l
January 20, 2012 1:23:17 PM

civilian1 said:

Oh forgot to mention congratz on the win as well!
m
l
January 20, 2012 1:27:36 PM

civilian1 said:
Hey everybody,

Just wondering who all won the Samsung 830, and also who won the Grand Prize. I was one of the lucky few, but I'm curios what the other winners submitted. I'm sure many of the entry's were really clever, so non-winners should post too.

Here is the grand prize winner: (not from Tom's hardware but the grand prize wasn't limited to any site. Just the ssd's were.)

Quote:
The winning entry and the winner of the ultimate gaming PC courtesy of Samsung – as judged by our panel of mummy judges - was reader Frederick D from Cowcotland.com with the entry:

‘The Samsung SSD is like a new pair of glasses for my computer ! it reads faster than ever!’

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/site-news-competitions/21...

m
l
January 24, 2012 2:12:40 PM

Hey guys any news on the shipment?? I haven't received any.
m
l
January 24, 2012 6:26:38 PM

spidey180 said:

nope. Nothing yet. still waiting for the same news. :sleep: 
m
l
January 25, 2012 6:21:40 PM

spidey180 said:

well check your email now! the being shipped! although he didn't say there arrival dated.
m
l
January 25, 2012 9:15:37 PM

warmon6 said:
well check your email now! the being shipped! although he didn't say there arrival dated.

I checked my e-mail didn't get any such message. :(  When is the e-mail dated? The last one I received was on the 20th. :( 
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:01:15 PM

spidey180 said:
I checked my e-mail didn't get any such message. :(  When is the e-mail dated? The last one I received was on the 20th. :( 

according to my gmail, it was 6 hours ago at 12:59 PM EST
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:43:36 PM

warmon6 said:
according to my gmail, it was 6 hours ago at 12:59 PM EST

Thanks for the quick reply didn't get anything yet! :( 
m
l
January 25, 2012 11:02:08 PM

spidey180 said:
Thanks for the quick reply didn't get anything yet! :( 

Well i guess since I'm frequently on toms, I naturally give a quick response. to something. :D 
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:11:08 PM

^Wow this is totally awesome!! :bounce: 
Looking forward for more such worldwide contests!! :) 
m
l
February 1, 2012 6:41:56 PM

Well, just got the ssd in the mail!

I'll need retake these photo's at another time (tired ATM) but here she is!

Rest of the photo's are in this album.

http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/xx241/warmon6/samsun...

Sorry for the blurry photo's. There quick shots as still trying to do some other things atm.

I'll do some benchmarks in a bit (although only at sata 3Gb/s for now) with out an OS on it. (plan on putting it in a future desktop build that's not to far out)

m
l
February 2, 2012 8:16:40 AM

Cool pics over there I see!! :D 
Looking forward to the benches !!
Will post mine too , I'm on a laptop with 3Gb/s sata interface!
m
l
February 2, 2012 9:13:39 AM

spidey180 said:
Cool pics over there I see!! :D 
Looking forward to the benches !!
Will post mine too , I'm on a laptop with 3Gb/s sata interface!

Well, ran into a hitch on the benches. Turns out that the esata port on my dad laptop only runs at 1.5 Gb/s sata instead of 3Gb/s. (just goes to show that most HDD's cant use sata 1 all the way yet.)

So i was only topping about 120~125 MB/s reads.

Although i can say i was getting 0.3 MS access times. :D 

Guess i'll have to wait giving benches untill i've order my desktop.
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:33:56 AM

Well here is a quick bench on my 3Gb/s laptop.
Seq reads:259MB/s writes:242MB/s
4K reads:13MB/s writes:25MB/s
4K-64 reads:171MB/s writes:72MB/s
Acc. Time reads:0.174ms writes

The 4K reads and writes look pretty bad :( 
Is there anything I can do?
I have the latest bios, drivers, firmware, all the SSD specific optimization's done!

P.S. Did you update the firmware of your SSD. Mine came with revision 02. The latest one is 03. :) 
m
l
February 3, 2012 9:12:47 AM

spidey180 said:

I have the latest bios, drivers, firmware, all the SSD specific optimization's done!

P.S. Did you update the firmware of your SSD. Mine came with revision 02. The latest one is 03. :) 

Not yet. Im probably going to wait until i build my desktop to mess with that stuff.
m
l
February 4, 2012 12:36:12 AM

spidey180 said:

Well, i decide to test out the ssd inside my laptop. Didn't install an OS, just ran Ubuntu 11.04 off a usb drive.

For seq reads (only did read bench ubuntu has), i got similar stats as you did. Same with Acc. times.

Writing i'll hold off until there an OS on it.
m
l
!