** Building New AMD system / AMD issues with memory?? **

DarkAgent

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Ok I've been reading alot of posts around the net regarding memory issues / bsod / and the Phenom II series having issues with getting the right memory speeds out of the ram.... all this with AMD processors.... specifically Phenom II x2, x3, x4, & x6 series.

First off this is my line up I have so far:

===========

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz

MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident 4GB DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD

GPU: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770

( Still working on picking a cooler. But I have my eyes on the Spire Thermax Eclipse II or the Scythe MUGEN-2 Rev.B )

===========

Now here's what I want to know.. I will break it down into parts.

What is the deal with the AMD CPU's having issues getting the right memory speeds?

Is this with ALL of the DDR3 memory out there? What is the issue realated / rooted with?

What processors have the main / most issues? What can be done about it?

Are the BSOD Crashes people are referring to related to these very same issues? If not what are they related to?

What is the best combination of parts I can use to give me a good SOLID system that can perform well and avoid these memory issues & crashes? (w/ AMD for the CPU)

Any and all help will be appreciated greatly...

- DarkAgent

What is the deal with the AMD CPU's having issues getting the right memory speeds?

The problem arises in the SPECs for DDR3 -- The specifications for DDR3 calls for a speed of 1333Mhz. and 1.5 Volts -- yet there are many modules that are either faster or require higher voltages or both -- With this comes the MOBO manufacturers having to build the MOBO to default to the SPEC so anytime you have a memory module that is not within this spec you need to manually adjust the voltage and speed\timings in order to use them (the MOBO makers have to do this so that the DDR3 RAM will at least boot the system so you can get into the BIOS to make the adjustments manually -- If they instead tried to make the modules get set automatically to a higher speed then the system may not boot even to BIOS. (and alot of users do not understand that this needs to be done so that they can make the adjustments manually - since they are used to plug-n-play settings.)

Is this with ALL of the DDR3 memory out there? What is the issue realated / rooted with?
Yes it effects all DDR3 modules that do not remain within the spec of 1333Mhz. @ 1.5Volts

What processors have the main / most issues? What can be done about it?
All CPUs (including intel) experience it the same

Are the BSOD Crashes people are referring to related to these very same issues? If not what are they related to?
Many times the issues with BSODs is because the user does not remember to adjust the Voltage to the RAM modules spec and instead leaves it at 1.5V which is not enough for many of the faster DDR3 modules causing instability.

What is the best combination of parts I can use to give me a good SOLID system that can perform well and avoid these memory issues & crashes? (w/ AMD for the CPU)
Mainly just get the Modules from a reputable manufacturer and get a MOBO from one also and remember to go into the BIOS and check\adjust the settings as needed for the modules you purchase and all should be fine.

Refer to manufacturer website seeking the memory support list for the motherboard you intent on buying.. All the memory modules are listed after testing with that board specifically.. You can safely get one of the listed memory modules and It'll work..

DarkAgent

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Great answers... appreciated.. both of you....

With that all being said though.. what do you think of this configuration?

Admittedly this memory is not on the mobo's support list.. Although I have seen a review of them using this exact ram with this motherboard.. so it must therefore be feasible... eh?

DarkAgent

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I think you misunderstand me... I have not purchased the parts as of YET..

I'm merely trying to weigh scales and balances in the process of putting together / assembling the pieces of the whole..

Hearing those issues were a bit of a concern as I have put alot of research & time into building this machine.

I guess what I'm really saying is... I wanna get what I pay for... and not have to deal with any major downfalls or issues because of an incorrect or ill-thought out purchase?

For that matter I'm sure no one does.. ;)

But all of your help has showed me light in the terms of seeing the issues behind the memory issues / speed concerns.

I will most likely be back here once again once I DO get the pieces in the mail. To either ask for assistance,.. (lol)

Or at least to post pictures of the new machine in all of it's glory.. Thanks again..

- DarkAgent

DarkAgent

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
BTW I have also heard that in order to run DD3 2000 effectively I need at least a Phenom II X6,... and in order to run DD3 1600 I need Phenom II 3x-4x chip?

Would that be correct?

The problem is people are buying faster memory than is REQUIRED by the processor and motherboard combination. If you buy the correct rated memory, you have no problems. If you want to run you memory over spec, then you have problems. Many people today seem to forget that memory is rated at the speed at which it is guaranteed to work at, but that does not mean the CPU/Processor combination they plug into works at that speed by default.
Joe Blow goes out and buys 1600mhz memory, pulls out his 1333mhz memory, plugs in the new memory, then comes here and posts something like. "AMD 945 processor on a GAMA880 board 1600mhz memory only running at 1333mhz, what is my problem?" The problem is you just blew one hundred bucks for nothing.
With the coming of 1600mhz and faster memory, many people think they should buy the fastest rated memory they can get their hands on, even though by default their processor/board combination does not need it. Here is the clincher, the combination does not need the faster speed, but many boards will support the faster speed, so you can buy faster memory and run it if you want to, but have to manually set the memory to the faster speed, the board will not default to a faster, technically overclocked state. Now here is the real kicker, your memory, at default speeds or 1333mhz, never was a bottleneck. Memory is still the fastest thing in your computer. Setting your memory to run at 1600mhz, 2000mhz, is really pretty useless, it will gain you next to nothing. The memory people have found a market that is working well for them. Bigger numbers open up peoples wallets, even though technically, it gains you almost nothing at all, except instability maybe.

hanqin81

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
jitpublisher is right. I'm building a new system too, using Phenom II x6 1055. I went to the AMD website and checked out the specs for my CPU. It states that it only supports up to 1333Mhz. Therefore I will only be getting 3x2GB 1333Mhz memory. Your MD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz can't be using faster memory than the Phen II X6 supports.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H + AMD 1055
Team Elite 6GB DDR3-1333Mhz CL9
SAPPHIRE HD5770 Vapor-X
3.5" Int WD Caviar Green 500GB /32MB
2.5" Ext WD Elements 500GB
Cooler Master GX650W 80+
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU cooler
CM 690 II Plus Edition with side window
LG 22x SATA GH22NS40
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM

Hey could you guys advice on my specs? Thanks.

DarkAgent

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well I wanted to stop back and give you all an update..

I changed up and went for the: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

and changed the ram to a more reasonable: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I figure if I need to I can push it a little bit with overclocking..

;)

A couple things I'd get a WD caviar Black or Blue instead of the Green (the green models are more for power efficiency than speed so not really good for a desktop as a boot drive) or maybe even a Samsung F3 (I know TigerDirect had the 500GB WD Blue for $39.99 recently so you might check that) - also the RAM is a bit slow at 1333 CAS9 unless you are getting a good price on them I'd look for some with a CAS7 or even CAS8 for the same price for better throughput.

Also not sure about the TX3 for the 1055 (what is the TDP of that CPU ?) -- The TX3 does a decent job with lower TDP cpus but starts to get a bit poorer cooling once you get above 95-100W - I have one on my PII X3 720 @3.2Ghz. and with the 4th core unlocked it is pushing the capabilities of the cooler at times due to the 92mm fan instead of the 120mm like the Hyper 212+ so you might want to change that (if the 212+ will fit in the case)

EDIT : Just checked and it is a 125W TDP Chip so I'd really consider the 212+ instead of the TX3 (the TX3 is more for 100W and under TDP chips) Esp if buying from Newegg as they are currently the same price !!