Driver or Hardware Issue???

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Blue Screen
  • Hardware Issue
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2010 1:05:15 PM

Hi all, I have a problem with my pc build that I've had ever since I built it. I been getting these BSOD's and all of them for the most part speak of a driver or piece of hardware that's corrupt. Problem is, I'm not sure which one it is. I just did a clean install of all the possible drivers I thought it could be (vid card, cpu, monitor, usb port) and shortly after I got another BSOD. I hope it isn't hardware, but I suspect it. I think it might be my video card for two reasons:

1) In a lot of the BSOD's, they tell me to disable caching and shadowing through the BIOS (and I'm pretty sure that stuff is all GPU related).

2) There's a dot on my screen (an artifact, if you will). I thought it was a stuck pixel on my LCD, but a few days ago I took a screenie of my desktop and, to my suprise, the dot was in the screenie.

Now, I'm not totally sure if I'm right but I can take a screenie of my BSOD's for you guys to help me out; it might clue somebody in as to what's really going on.

I hope you guys can see the stuff; I would upload the pic and the dump files and whatnot, but there doesn't seem to be an option to attach files; maybe I can email the stuff to one of you. I really need some help with this.

More about : driver hardware issue

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 1:22:20 PM

What is the BSOD error code? That can help a lot in determining what's wrong.

What's in your build? We can't really do much without knowing at least that.

To my knowledge, most BSOD are hardware issues. Have you tried the different steps in the "Read Before Posting about Boot Problems" sticky? I know it's not really a boot problem, but that's just a standard troubleshooting guide.

Another thing you could do to get some more information is to download and run the various programs in Step 10 of the "Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC." Specifically focus on the temperatures and the memory tests.

What you've posted really isn't enough info to even start giving possiblities...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 1:29:45 PM

Yes, most BSOD's are hardware related - specifically RAM. What RAM do you have? Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? I would start off by doing that followed by an overnight run of Memtest86+. You can download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and burn the ISO image to a disk. You then just boot from the disk and the memory test starts automatically.

Here's some additional information on BSOD's:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_s...
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2010 9:29:17 PM

Sorry about not posting the pc specs, I totally forgot about that. Here they are:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II x4 620 Propus 2.6 GHz

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

Wireless Card: LINKSYS Speed Booster Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

Display: Viewsonic VX2265wm 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Some more info:

Last night I ran the mem test that came with windows and apparently nothing was wrong with it. I might do that again just to be sure though. Also, some might thing that the wireless card might be the cause of this, but I've only had it in my pc for a few weeks now - this has been happening for months.

I guess you guys can't see the BSOD #'s in the pic, which is unfortunate, but not anybody's fault here, so I'll give all twenty BSOD #'s right now starting with the latest:

0x19
0x50
0x00000124
0x19
0x1e
0xd1
0x24
0x1000007e
0x3b
0x24
0x3b
0x1e
0x50
0x9f
0x24
0x4e
0xd1
0x1e
0x0a
0x9f

I know that's a lot of BSOD's, but again all of them (yes, I checked myself, all of them :)  ) ask to make sure new hardware/software is installed correctly and to disable caching and shadowing through the BIOS. All of them say that.

Another thing: about that artifact on my screen, I tried connecting my display through my mobo to see if it was the video card, but everytime I did the display would not start up - the sound would though. The input for the display is Dual link DVI; the audio is separate from the video input.

EDIT:

Well, it looks like the 0x19 problems are frome my wireless card after all, lol. It seems like there are so many things wrong, will I have to reinstall windows?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 9:50:33 PM

I wouldn't rule out the RAM as the problem until you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage in the BIOS and run Memtest86+ overnight. I don't trust the memory test built into Windows. Memtest86+ is very good at detecting faulty RAM, but not great at detecting incorrect RAM settings/voltage. That's why you need to manually set the RAM values before running Memtest86+.
m
l
January 20, 2010 9:59:56 PM

Doh!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to mention shortstuff I did do that just a few days ago. I'll go ahead and get memtest86+ though and try that out. Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2010 10:02:21 PM

So you already manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage in the BIOS?

Let us know how the overnight Memtest86+ run goes. You should let it run for at least 8 hours.
m
l
January 21, 2010 12:38:43 PM

shortstuff, I've only set the RAM timing in the BIOS, but I ran the memtest86+ overnight and, to my surprise, there wasn't a single error that occurred at all for the RAM. The test was ran 7 times.

So, what's next? I'm not even sure where to go from here, but if I had to decide, I would choose the vid card or hard disk drive. As a matter of fact, I'll post my Windows Experience Index:

It's obvious from this that my weak spot is the hard disk, but is it the faulty one? Let's not forget about that artifact that's always on my screen, and what I tried to do to see if it was the video card in my second post. I could run tests on both things, but I don't have the slightest clue as to what tests I should be running for these things. Maybe some help with that will get this thing figured out once and for all.
m
l
January 21, 2010 6:20:10 PM

I would run a hardrive test if that passes then download a program called whocrashed and run it. If there is a driver causing the problem it will let you know.
m
l
January 23, 2010 4:15:33 AM

Well, here's the deal: I took your advice plasticjesus69 (interesting name :)  ) and downloaded whocrashed. When I took a look at all the crashes, most of them were from drivers, but three of them were from hardware. I have a pdf of the analysis, but too bad I can't attach it here. I can tell you guys of the ones that were hardware related though. Here they go, starting with the earliest:

On Thu 12/17/2009 1:43:32 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: hardware
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1904FB, 0xFFFFF88002FAECB8, 0xFFFFF88002FAE510, 0xFFFFF880012595E5)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121609-19890-01.dmp

On Sat 1/2/2010 12:01:51 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF880010405E5, 0xFFFFF8800A4F4EB0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010110-16723-01.dmp

On Wed 1/20/2010 2:28:48 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004EFE038, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011910-14414-01.dmp

That last one sort of scares me with the whole "UNCORRECTABLE" thing, but I can't tell what piece of hardware it could be. And in plus, it did only happen three times - is that enough times to call a piece of hardware faulty? At least I haven't crashed since I redid all the drivers the other day.
m
l
January 23, 2010 4:41:34 AM

I don't know my guy says hardrive or ram. I am a little biased with hardrives atm cause I recently had a problem were the hd tested fine but I was still experiencing issues. What you wanna do now is get back to basics remove all extra ram disconnect things that are not essential to the computer running cd drives ect. If you can get ahold of a differnt vid card use that and stress test and slowly add things till you narrow down the problem.
m
l
!