Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't connect to internet after upgrading Norton 360

Last response: in Windows XP
August 21, 2012 11:18:11 AM

Hello,
I was upgrading Norton 360 on my PC. I had to restart my PC in the middle of the upgrade and it crashed. Now I cannot connect to the internet. It's an older PC with Windows XP. I have a wireless network connected t this computer, which works, but my PC no longer has any LAN drivers nor sees my LAN connection. I've tried to reinstall LAN drivers but I'm not sure where to install them.
a b \ Driver
August 21, 2012 2:32:02 PM

You don't pick a place to install the network drivers, you just run the setup. Depending on the PC it will either install the drivers for you, or extract them to a directory on your hard drive. Then you just go to device manager, select update drivers for the network card, and point it to the place the drivers were placed.
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:37:14 AM

The problem is that my PC doesn't recognize the LAN card. I also reinstalled Windows XP and because the software is so old, it only wants to search for a modem. I was going to try takingthe /lan card it out, starting my PC without it and then reinstalling it, but it's a part of the mothherboard and I can't remove it..
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
August 29, 2012 2:22:54 PM

mirv said:
The problem is that my PC doesn't recognize the LAN card. I also reinstalled Windows XP and because the software is so old, it only wants to search for a modem. I was going to try takingthe /lan card it out, starting my PC without it and then reinstalling it, but it's a part of the mothherboard and I can't remove it..

Base XP may not have the drivers for your motherboard and network card, but the PC vendor or motherboard support site will have the drivers.
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:18:05 AM

I went to the motherboard mfg website, downloaded and extracted the drivers and then re-started my pc. When I try to get online I get this message: Unable to connect to the following device: Standard network card. Please check your network connection and try again.
m
l
a b \ Driver
September 10, 2012 2:41:43 PM

mirv said:
I went to the motherboard mfg website, downloaded and extracted the drivers and then re-started my pc. When I try to get online I get this message: Unable to connect to the following device: Standard network card. Please check your network connection and try again.

Did you install the drivers or just extracted the files? You need to actually install the drivers for your system. Delete the network card from Device Manager, have it detect plug and play devices, point it to the driver.
m
l
September 17, 2012 1:40:10 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Did you install the drivers or just extracted the files? You need to actually install the drivers for your system. Delete the network card from Device Manager, have it detect plug and play devices, point it to the driver.

The drivers are installed. I can't delete the network card from the device manager because it doesn't show up on the device manager list. The modem is on the list but not the LAN card. The network card is working (at least I think it is. My wireless router is connected to that PC), but my PC doesn't see it. I think I mentioned that I was going to remove and reinstall the network card to see if my PC would then recognise it, but the card is part of the motherboard. How do I get my PC to recognise the network card?
m
l
a b \ Driver
September 17, 2012 3:15:25 PM

mirv said:
The drivers are installed. I can't delete the network card from the device manager because it doesn't show up on the device manager list. The modem is on the list but not the LAN card. The network card is working (at least I think it is. My wireless router is connected to that PC), but my PC doesn't see it. I think I mentioned that I was going to remove and reinstall the network card to see if my PC would then recognise it, but the card is part of the motherboard. How do I get my PC to recognise the network card?

The wireless card is not the same driver as your ethernet card (which I'm guessing is the LAN card), although not sure what you mean by modem. You have a 56k modem on the system? That's not connected to anything so does mot matter. If it's not in Device Manager, means it's not installed, nor working. It may help if you listed your motherboard brand and model and what drivers you installed. Also how did you install them?

You seem to using a bunch of different terms which are confusing things as to what is working and what is not work.

Do you have a wireless network card? You said it's working, but then said the PC does not see it which means it's NOT working.

What exactly is going on here? Are you having issue with a wireless card or regular ethernet? How do you know the router is connected to the PC if the PC does not see the router?
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:03:46 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The wireless card is not the same driver as your ethernet card (which I'm guessing is the LAN card), although not sure what you mean by modem. You have a 56k modem on the system? That's not connected to anything so does mot matter. If it's not in Device Manager, means it's not installed, nor working. It may help if you listed your motherboard brand and model and what drivers you installed. Also how did you install them?

You seem to using a bunch of different terms which are confusing things as to what is working and what is not work.

Do you have a wireless network card? You said it's working, but then said the PC does not see it which means it's NOT working.

What exactly is going on here? Are you having issue with a wireless card or regular ethernet? How do you know the router is connected to the PC if the PC does not see the router?

Sorry for being vague. I cannot connect to the Internet with my PC. When I called tech support, I was told I needed drivers for my ethernet card (Sorry about calling it a LAN card). My DSL modem is connected to that PC thrugh my wireless router, which I'm usng to access the intrnet through my laptop. My PC crashed while I was updating Norton 360 an I had to reinstall Windows XP to get it woking. Motherboard is a Micro-Stat International K7N2 Delta2. I went to the Micro-Star Website and downloaded a file called MCP2S_Win2K_XP_NV11, ran setup and restarted my PC. Thanks for your help.
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:18:46 PM

Try the add new hardware in control panel, you will probably have to add it manually. If I understand correctly you reinstalled windows, doe norton still show up in add remove programs? if so remove it.
m
l
September 18, 2012 10:41:54 AM

ktownmike said:
Try the add new hardware in control panel, you will probably have to add it manually. If I understand correctly you reinstalled windows, doe norton still show up in add remove programs? if so remove it.

I went to the hardware wizard to add it manually, but I'm not sure where to find it. There's a listing for network adapters and one for modems but nothing for ethernet cards. If I Click on "show all devices", I get this long list of manufacturers, and their corresponding software.
m
l
a b \ Driver
September 18, 2012 4:29:12 PM

Network adapter = ethernet card = LAN card. More or less all are equal and mean the same.

What was confusing me is that you were also talking about a wireless card and it was not clear what was working and what was not working.

The file you downloaded should have installed the drivers for your network card, are there any errors in device manager? What is listed under network adapters?
m
l
September 26, 2012 11:18:22 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Network adapter = ethernet card = LAN card. More or less all are equal and mean the same.

What was confusing me is that you were also talking about a wireless card and it was not clear what was working and what was not working.

The file you downloaded should have installed the drivers for your network card, are there any errors in device manager? What is listed under network adapters?

There are no errors in Device Manager and Network Adapters does not show up on the Device Manager list. To me, the fact that Network Adapters does not show up on th Device Manager list is what's got me stuck. If it did, I could just add my ethernet card.
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
September 26, 2012 1:57:36 PM

If you don't see the LAN card even as a generic device with no drivers, means Windows is not seeing it. Check in the BIOS, maybe it got disabled somehow. If it's enabled but not seen, you can get an add-on network card for about $10.
October 4, 2012 8:38:17 AM

THAT WAS IT! I'M BACK ONLINE!!!I started Set Up/Integrated Peripherals/Onboard Devices, and there it was disabled. I thought about getting an add-on card a while back, but I really wanted to fix it the right way. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!
m
l
October 4, 2012 8:40:11 AM

Best answer selected by mirv.
m
l
!