Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard ***-up

Last response: in Motherboards
August 17, 2010 8:31:12 PM

Hello guys, hardware noob here.
I got this new fancy motherboard, GA-890XA-UD3, along with some other parts.
At first, things seemed ok, but then I messed around with the hard drives and something fucked up.
Now my keyboard or mouse don't get power.
If you need more info, read on, but my question is Is there a way to reset a motherboard to factory default?

So here's what I did:
I got two hard drives, both 250gb (though one is only Sata1.5)
I'm using the hard drives from the old computer, which I never formated (I should've, thinking of the aftermath, but I didn't think it'd be such a pain in my neck)
Installing stuff worked fine until I realized it was trying to install windows on the slower, sata1.5 hard drive.
Naturally I rewired them so that the faster one - the one with my old OS installed on - would be in the first sata socket.
When I booted the computer, it tried to run the windows that was already installed (instead of running the boot-cd that was inside). Needless to say, it failed, and got a bluescreen a few moments after the loading screen.
After that I rewired the drives back so that I could atempt to format the drive with windows on.
Worked fine, except for one detail: My keyboard or mouse won't work in any of the usb ports.

I have a theory that when the computer tried to boot windows, it shut off the power to all external devices (usbs etc), and before it could turn them back on it failed and had a bluescreen.
I think this could be solved by reseting the motherboard to factory defaults.
Problem is I don't know how.

More about : motherboard

a c 717 V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 9:28:48 PM

There are a couple of ways to Default the Bios: 1. Restart enter BIOS [Delete] key, scroll over to "Load Optimized Settings", Save & Exit = Y, 2. Clear CMOS

Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing
the CMOS values.
• After clearing the CMOS values and before turning on your computer, be sure to remove the jumper cap from the jumper. Failure to do so may cause damage to the motherboard.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults)
or manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations).

In addition, if you decide or need to reinstall your OS just make certain that any (other) HDD with an OS already installed is disconnected.
Related resources
August 17, 2010 9:42:27 PM

Seemed like it cleared the cmos values using what you posted, but my keyboard still won't get any power.
Thanks for the replies though.

Edit: Installing some kind of windows 7 ultimate, dunno version etc.
Remember guys, I can't use my keyboard or mouse for anything.

Edit2: HEY HEY! It did work!
I'm having a blast now! Thanks guys!
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 11:40:21 PM

Hi there,

After you reset your CMOS to default values, plug in your USB keyboard and mouse. Although for this step it is not mandatory, unplug the hard drives so they are not connected to the Motherboard, and see if it will POST <del> to the System Setup.

With luck, your keyboard and mouse will work, but you will know when you get to the System Setup Main Screen. If the arrow keys Don't work, then you will need to use a PS/2 Keyboard to be able to move about the System Setup screens.

On the Integrted Peripherals screen, make sure the USB Controllers selection is "Enabled" and the USB Legacy selection is "Enabled". That will permit the USB ports to be active and active in the pre Windows environment.

Once that component is working, then you can connect (with computer OFF) the HDD that you are going to use for your active Windows partition. Once Windows is installed, or working, then connect the second HDD, which you can then format, wiping out the old programs and data, and using it anew for data storage.

Hopefully that will get you going.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 18, 2010 12:50:03 AM

~ symptoms as you're describing:

Is you K/M wireless?? If so and if you changed the USB port {moved cables into a different "plug"} it was connect to originally - try the re-connect buttons underneath the transceiver and K/B. Some wireless K/M have PS/2 connections (connect the PS/2). I use a MS 6000 series and I went through this "moving" process that corrupts the driver/software, and it is a pain to fix.

In addition, this "can" also occur with some non-wireless USB K/M when the cables are moved around.

Simplest method to fix was to reinstall the driver/software - by getting into the Device Manager and uninstalling both the K/M driver + restart.

Good Luck!
!