Pros & Cons of File Sharing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Can someone help me out as I have to do a report on whether or not we should
enable or disable File and Print Sharing on our network and what the Pro's
and Cons are or maybe a website or article.

I think a few are

Remote Management of PC trhough Computer Manager
Being able to push our AntiVirus SAV Corporate Edition to remote machiene
using the Admin$ Share.
Being able to access the PC's file system

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

How about being infected by Internet worms through poorly secured shares. There are *many*
Internet worms that have their own library of common passwords. Poorly secured shares can
spread the infection very, very, fast.

Dave

"Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
| Can someone help me out as I have to do a report on whether or not we should
| enable or disable File and Print Sharing on our network and what the Pro's
| and Cons are or maybe a website or article.
|

| I think a few are
|
| Remote Management of PC trhough Computer Manager
| Being able to push our AntiVirus SAV Corporate Edition to remote machiene
| using the Admin$ Share.
| Being able to access the PC's file system

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am not going to use any other shares other then the default and will set
very long passwords and only one account on the user machines
> How about being infected by Internet worms through poorly secured shares.
> There are *many*
> Internet worms that have their own library of common passwords. Poorly
> secured shares can
> spread the infection very, very, fast.
>
> Dave
>

> "Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
> | Can someone help me out as I have to do a report on whether or not we
> should
> | enable or disable File and Print Sharing on our network and what the
> Pro's
> | and Cons are or maybe a website or article.
> |

> | I think a few are
> |
> | Remote Management of PC trhough Computer Manager
> | Being able to push our AntiVirus SAV Corporate Edition to remote
> machiene
> | using the Admin$ Share.
> | Being able to access the PC's file system

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You asked for pros and cons. I gave you ONE negative side (con). There are more... but
that's your research job know that you know they exist.

I'll give you a hint -- are the user's "Domain Users" and are they going to be in the local
"Administrators Group" on the workstations ?

| I am not going to use any other shares other then the default and will set
| very long passwords and only one account on the user machines
| > How about being infected by Internet worms through poorly secured shares.
| > There are *many*
| > Internet worms that have their own library of common passwords. Poorly
| > secured shares can
| > spread the infection very, very, fast.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
| > | Can someone help me out as I have to do a report on whether or not we
| > should
| > | enable or disable File and Print Sharing on our network and what the
| > Pro's
| > | and Cons are or maybe a website or article.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | I think a few are
| > |
| > | Remote Management of PC trhough Computer Manager
| > | Being able to push our AntiVirus SAV Corporate Edition to remote
| > machiene
| > | using the Admin$ Share.
| > | Being able to access the PC's file system
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"Norman Rosenthal" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
> Can someone help me out as I have to do a report on whether or not we
should
> enable or disable File and Print Sharing on our network and what the Pro's
> and Cons are or maybe a website or article.

I would suggest temporarily enabling file sharing and then heading to the
following website:

Shields Up!!
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I've found it to be very useful in determining how visible your PCs are to
the rest of the Internet. It should certainly help you with your report.

l8r, Mike N. Christoff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

The users are local Admins