Open box ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO or ASRock M3A770DE

doje1999

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I've narrowed down the motherboards to two options. I am not familiar with open boxes from newegg so I've decided to get some opinions from toms. They're both the same price.

Open box: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO (59.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398R

or

New: ASRock M3A770DE (59.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176

These are the components I plan on adding:
Phenom II x4 3.4 ghz 965 BE + G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 2x2gb + EVGA GTX 460 758 mb superclock

I'm not exactly that knowledgeable of building rigs but I have built a couple. From my understanding, the open box may not come with all the necessary items I may need to put the stuff together. I'm sure nothing a trip to frys couldn't take care of. Anyways, just wanted some opinions on which board I should get. The main kicker is obviously the open box issue and wanted some justification from you guys on whether or not its worth the risk.

Solution
Problem with Newegg Open Box MOBO's is that they might be missing items like the back panel plate for your case, Sata cables, or any other additional items included with the MOBO and you cannot return it to them if it is missing (unless you pay shipping and a restocking fee) and tracking down those items can wind up costing more than the savings you get. (the back panel plates usually are not easy to find and can get expensive if you can find them)
Problem with Newegg Open Box MOBO's is that they might be missing items like the back panel plate for your case, Sata cables, or any other additional items included with the MOBO and you cannot return it to them if it is missing (unless you pay shipping and a restocking fee) and tracking down those items can wind up costing more than the savings you get. (the back panel plates usually are not easy to find and can get expensive if you can find them)

Solution

doje1999

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
This is a good enough answer for me to go with a new mobo instead. I dont want to track down model specific items like the back panel if that was missing. I thought it'd be more related to universal items that could be easily obtained like screws. I think just the fact on the back panel not being in the box is enough to not take the risk. Thanks.

Yeah - the only time I'll take a chance on an open box MOBO is as a replacement for the exact same model.