790FX-GD70 causing major headache.

htlh

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi guys.

So I built a new gaming rig a couple of months ago.
Parts arrived and after assembling all the parts I`ve had nothing but headaches and constant frustration.

What happens is when I start gaming. Does not matter what game I play (except for Peggle Deluxe...) the computer will restart.
And it will restart out of the blue.

An example would be BF:BC2. I can play for 10-15 minutes and suddenly KAPOW! It shuts down. This applies to all "heavier" games (CoD, BF:BC2, Just Cause 2, etc, etc).
What`s strange is when the computer restarts, it won`t POST at once. The GPU-fan will run at max speeds for about a minute before I give up, turn the PSU off and on, start the computer and pray nothing has been damaged.

Initially I thought it was the graphics-card since it was really hot. I turned on manual fan-control and set it to 90% at all times because the stress-test would show that the computer would reset when the GPU hit 82 degrees Centigrade (180 Fahrenheit).
So I updated the drivers for the card and flashed BIOS to whatever version that had just been released at the time (May).

After installing additional cooling (bigger fans, cleaning up wires, directing airflow) I had high hopes. Alas, my friends. Such was not the case that the Gaming-Gods would grant me serenity.
After running Just Cause 2 for 20 minutes the computer restarted again.

I called up the company who sold me the GPU`s and told them about my problem. After all the usual talk about updating drivers and stuff they told me it was a MoBo-problem. So I called the seller of the MoBo (different store) and explained what was happening. They agreed to take the MoBo back and sent me a fresh MoBo back.

Getting the fresh new MoBo out of the box I installed all the components. After a fresh install of Windows I fired up Steam with BF:BC2. Lo and behold, the frustration returned.

Seriously angry I called back the company that sold me the GPU`s. They took the graphics card back and ran their usual tests to determine why the computer would restart when the GPU`s hit 82 Centigrade. They found nothing wrong the the GPU`s and saying that 82 Centigrade peak temp was normal and expected.

While they had my cards in for repair and testing I bought a new graphics card. Still the same problem with the computer restarting, GPU-fan running at max for a while before the comp POSTs.

I need some help! I`ve tried everything!
BIOS is flashed, cleared CMOS, default settings in BIOS, fresh OS-install, installing 32-bit W7 instead of 64-bit, updating drivers for graphics-card, bareboned it too.
Memtest86+ has been run 2 times, each time for 8 hours without any problem (other than when I start probe-testing, but it seems everybody gets errors when running that test. Correct me if I`m wrong.)
Prime95 will run for about 2 seconds before the whole computer freezes, though.

I also can`t load OS with more than 2 DIMM-slots in use. If I add a 3rd or 4th RAM-module, it won`t post.

MSI 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3,4Ghz
Corsair Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 4x4gb 1333 Mhz
XFX Radeon HD 5870 765 Mhz 1Gb GDDR5 (currently installed)/ XFX Radeon HD 5770 875 Mhz 1Gb GDDR5 in Xfire (the ones I sent back in suspicion of overheating)
Chieftec A-135 Series 850W PSU (12V-rail for PCI-Express all come with 18 Amperes)
Cooler Master HAF922
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Thanks for any help!

4745454b

Titan
If you've tried a different mobo and GPU, and memtest86 comes back ok, then the problem is either the CPU or the PSU. If games will run for 10+min and prime fails in 2sec I'm thinking its not a CPU or heat problem. A heat problem should take longer then two, and less then 10 to have issues I would think. This leaves your possibly bad PSU. Chieftec isn't known for quality, try to barrow a PSU from a friend and see if the problems go away.