Dark Knight too tall for case, what are my options?

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I just tried to mount my motherboard into my case, but it looks like the dark knight cooler is about 1/2 inch too tall. What cooler would fit? Was planning to overclock a bit, so looking for something good.

What case do you have?

You probably have to drop to a weaker 92mm cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper TX3. It will let you do moderate overclocking but will get noisy as the smaller fan has to spin faster for the same amount of cooling.

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
What about this:
h50

My concern is how long the tubing is. There are mounts for 80mm fans on the back of the case, but also two mounts for 120mm on the top. Maybe that would work?

Can anyone give some insight into this cooler?

Yes the H50 is probably a good option with 120mm top fan mounting if there is room and the tubes are long enough.

You will probably have to measure your case then email corsair to ask about the tube length. I dont see it listed in the spec even on corsairs website.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Have you considered a larger case, instead of a new HSF? Chances are good that a larger case would give you better baseline airflow, which might make the cooling job easier as a whole (and fit the HSF you've already got).

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Here's the case. It was the biggest I could find to avoid problems like this. Unfortunately it is designed to hold two systems, so you have to divide the space in half.

Case

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I considered it, but I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer. I plan to eventually watercool, and hate to damage the panel. I guess I could always get another one.

I ordred the parts for the new pc december 31st and still have not powered it on. My 30 day return window for any defective parts is fast approaching. I need to get this running now, so I will probably go with the stock cooler just to see if everything is ok.

Running with the stock and not overclocking to get it running is a good idea. Then you can add water cooling or the h50 or find the right heastink later. I know scythe makes some flatter 120mm heatsinks that are know for being quiet, but may cool well enough in that big box.