Socket 754

is there anything that will stop me from being able to us a mobil processor on a desktop board if the socket is 754 or does the board kow if the cpu is a mobil processor
12 answers Last reply
More about socket
  1. I've seen mobile socket 754 cpus on desktop motherboards before, but you need to make sure the motherboard has bios support or it may not work. The heatsink is also mounted a little differently, not sure if you'll be able to get the processor to cool correctly.
  2. the mobil cpus just dont have lid, but u can add one
  3. loneninja said:
    I've seen mobile socket 754 cpus on desktop motherboards before, but you need to make sure the motherboard has bios support or it may not work. The heatsink is also mounted a little differently, not sure if you'll be able to get the processor to cool correctly.



    the computer is a compaq presario sr1320nx, it has a k8s-la mobo, but i have searched up and down for info on the mobo and i just get a list of supported processors, and as you know manufacturerers never have a truely complete list, and how can i make the bios support it, even if i have to customize bios
  4. Hmm. Have a look at this thread. :)

    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=128689

    Seems like you need to flash your bios and remove the CPU heatspreader of a desktop Athlon then stick it onto a heatspreader-less mobile Athlon. The person also encountered a memory error using the mobile athlon.
  5. Lmeow said:
    Hmm. Have a look at this thread. :)

    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=128689

    Seems like you need to flash your bios and remove the CPU heatspreader of a desktop Athlon then stick it onto a heatspreader-less mobile Athlon. The person also encountered a memory error using the mobile athlon.


    or maybe you can just find some boards that support it, must be agp and except ddr 400
  6. Even if the BIOS recognizes the mobile CPU for what it is (ideally), the desktop chipset will not be spec'ed out the same as a mobile chipset and the mobile processor will not run at the proper frequency. Been there done that. My mobile AMD 3200 754 was recognized as a mobile 3200, but the NF3 chipset of the desktop board would not adjust the Mobile CPU frequency correctly (ran at lower GHz and BUS transfer rates). Also, only a single DIMM in slot one was workable onthe NF3 MB. As mentioned, the stock 754 HSF will not work on the mobile CPU. The mobile chip is 'shorter' than a desktop chip. This fan will work with a mobile chip installed in a desktop 754 MB.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118030
  7. Any particular reason you're looking at a mobile chip, anyways? Why not just get the Athlon 64 3300+ (I think that was the fastest 754 chip they made...maybe a 3400+)? It would be faster than any mobile chip you could drop in there and you'd be almost guaranteed it would work. A quick glance at eBay and you can find them for $20-$40 fairly easily.
  8. The top of line processor for socket 754 is the AMD 64 3700, which I still use today. A socket 754 mobile processor will not run at advertised speeds in a desktop NF3 chipset. Although it works, it's lame. The weakest budget MB and procesor available today would be a better place to put your money.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#.22ClawHammer.22_.28C0_.26_CG.2C_130_nm.29
  9. dkapke said:
    Any particular reason you're looking at a mobile chip, anyways? Why not just get the Athlon 64 3300+ (I think that was the fastest 754 chip they made...maybe a 3400+)? It would be faster than any mobile chip you could drop in there and you'd be almost guaranteed it would work. A quick glance at eBay and you can find them for $20-$40 fairly easily.



    the fatsest desktop cpu for socket 754 is the 3700+ clawhammer, but i was considering a mobile processor because they are better for overclocking, but i decided to just go with the clawhammer, besides this is just a computer i'm building for fun,i already have a pcomputer with a 3.1 Ghz Phenom II x4
  10. badge said:
    The top of line processor for socket 754 is the AMD 64 3700, which I still use today. A socket 754 mobile processor will not run at advertised speeds in a desktop NF3 chipset. Although it works, it's lame. The weakest budget MB and procesor available today would be a better place to put your money.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#.22ClawHammer.22_.28C0_.26_CG.2C_130_nm.29


    actualy the fastest socket 754 mobil processor is a athlon 64 4000+ but i don't want to have to buy a new board that can support it, but if i did it would overclock impressively because of the lower voltage requirements and higher temperature range
  11. badge said:
    The top of line processor for socket 754 is the AMD 64 3700, which I still use today. A socket 754 mobile processor will not run at advertised speeds in a desktop NF3 chipset. Although it works, it's lame. The weakest budget MB and procesor available today would be a better place to put your money.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors#.22ClawHammer.22_.28C0_.26_CG.2C_130_nm.29


    lol i already bought that fan for the same reason you just mentioned
  12. The AMD socket 754 mobile processors will run in a desktop NF3 chipset setup, but not properly as I outlined. The fastest AMD socket 754 desktop processor is the 3700, which I run every day for many years. I have many socket 754 machines running currently. In the past year or so, they have become terribly slow to sit at when compared to the technology out there for such a cheap price. If you need a retail source to buy an OEM (retail may be available) socket 754 processor, let me know and I will provide a link if I can still find it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Mobile Socket Product