Sign in with
Your question

Socket 754

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2010 5:40:58 AM

is there anything that will stop me from being able to us a mobil processor on a desktop board if the socket is 754 or does the board kow if the cpu is a mobil processor

More about : socket 754

a c 83 à CPUs
March 26, 2010 5:46:45 AM

I've seen mobile socket 754 cpus on desktop motherboards before, but you need to make sure the motherboard has bios support or it may not work. The heatsink is also mounted a little differently, not sure if you'll be able to get the processor to cool correctly.
m
l
March 26, 2010 6:04:45 AM

the mobil cpus just dont have lid, but u can add one
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 6:10:20 AM

loneninja said:
I've seen mobile socket 754 cpus on desktop motherboards before, but you need to make sure the motherboard has bios support or it may not work. The heatsink is also mounted a little differently, not sure if you'll be able to get the processor to cool correctly.

the computer is a compaq presario sr1320nx, it has a k8s-la mobo, but i have searched up and down for info on the mobo and i just get a list of supported processors, and as you know manufacturerers never have a truely complete list, and how can i make the bios support it, even if i have to customize bios

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 6:32:25 AM

Hmm. Have a look at this thread. :) 

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&th...

Seems like you need to flash your bios and remove the CPU heatspreader of a desktop Athlon then stick it onto a heatspreader-less mobile Athlon. The person also encountered a memory error using the mobile athlon.
m
l
March 26, 2010 8:37:39 AM

Lmeow said:
Hmm. Have a look at this thread. :) 

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&th...

Seems like you need to flash your bios and remove the CPU heatspreader of a desktop Athlon then stick it onto a heatspreader-less mobile Athlon. The person also encountered a memory error using the mobile athlon.

or maybe you can just find some boards that support it, must be agp and except ddr 400
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 9:01:19 AM

Even if the BIOS recognizes the mobile CPU for what it is (ideally), the desktop chipset will not be spec'ed out the same as a mobile chipset and the mobile processor will not run at the proper frequency. Been there done that. My mobile AMD 3200 754 was recognized as a mobile 3200, but the NF3 chipset of the desktop board would not adjust the Mobile CPU frequency correctly (ran at lower GHz and BUS transfer rates). Also, only a single DIMM in slot one was workable onthe NF3 MB. As mentioned, the stock 754 HSF will not work on the mobile CPU. The mobile chip is 'shorter' than a desktop chip. This fan will work with a mobile chip installed in a desktop 754 MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 1:54:48 PM

Any particular reason you're looking at a mobile chip, anyways? Why not just get the Athlon 64 3300+ (I think that was the fastest 754 chip they made...maybe a 3400+)? It would be faster than any mobile chip you could drop in there and you'd be almost guaranteed it would work. A quick glance at eBay and you can find them for $20-$40 fairly easily.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 3:59:27 PM

The top of line processor for socket 754 is the AMD 64 3700, which I still use today. A socket 754 mobile processor will not run at advertised speeds in a desktop NF3 chipset. Although it works, it's lame. The weakest budget MB and procesor available today would be a better place to put your money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_micr...
m
l
March 26, 2010 6:16:13 PM

dkapke said:
Any particular reason you're looking at a mobile chip, anyways? Why not just get the Athlon 64 3300+ (I think that was the fastest 754 chip they made...maybe a 3400+)? It would be faster than any mobile chip you could drop in there and you'd be almost guaranteed it would work. A quick glance at eBay and you can find them for $20-$40 fairly easily.

the fatsest desktop cpu for socket 754 is the 3700+ clawhammer, but i was considering a mobile processor because they are better for overclocking, but i decided to just go with the clawhammer, besides this is just a computer i'm building for fun,i already have a pcomputer with a 3.1 Ghz Phenom II x4
m
l
March 26, 2010 6:20:13 PM

badge said:
The top of line processor for socket 754 is the AMD 64 3700, which I still use today. A socket 754 mobile processor will not run at advertised speeds in a desktop NF3 chipset. Although it works, it's lame. The weakest budget MB and procesor available today would be a better place to put your money.

actualy the fastest socket 754 mobil processor is a athlon 64 4000+ but i don't want to have to buy a new board that can support it, but if i did it would overclock impressively because of the lower voltage requirements and higher temperature range
m
l
March 26, 2010 6:30:40 PM

badge said:

lol i already bought that fan for the same reason you just mentioned
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 6:34:14 PM

The AMD socket 754 mobile processors will run in a desktop NF3 chipset setup, but not properly as I outlined. The fastest AMD socket 754 desktop processor is the 3700, which I run every day for many years. I have many socket 754 machines running currently. In the past year or so, they have become terribly slow to sit at when compared to the technology out there for such a cheap price. If you need a retail source to buy an OEM (retail may be available) socket 754 processor, let me know and I will provide a link if I can still find it.
m
l
!