rewben2

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Edit: I've found out what I wanted to, but I have a few more questions.

Should try and lower the multiplier of my ram to keep it as close to 1333 as I can?

I kept the voltage setting to auto. Should I manually make it a certain amount? If so, how can I determine the best voltage for my OC and a suitable voltage to keep my system stable? Is raising the voltage or the bus speed the thing that raises the temperature, or both?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
If you are stable, don't add any voltage. In fact, download a program like CPU-Z and make sure your voltage doesn't need to come down. (If you left voltages in "auto" your MB probably increased voltage automatically when the clock speed was increased) I prefer to go as fast as possible with stock-clock voltage, but I have read that 1.3 and even 1.35v is ok for that particular chip.

I'm not familiar with your particular stress test. I have tried a few and Intel burn test is by far the "hottest" stress test. If you stay withing specs running that program on high, very high, or max, you are fine.

As for MSI Afterburner, it's a great program.

rewben2

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I undid my OC, it's now chilling at 63~ degrees max. My CPU can take about 72 max. What's the max temp I should allow my CPU to go up to when im stress testing with Prime95?

rewben2

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
With prime 95 blend, I would shoot for 65C or less. (Allow at least 30 minutes for different FFT's to run and generate different heat levels)

Ok thanks, I think I can manage to get around 3.1-3.2 and hit no higher than 65.

I haven't re-applied thermal paste in a long time, if I re-did this would it make a noticable difference in temperature?

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Ram speed is directly related to the cpu base clock
ram speed = base clock x multiplier(6,8,10 etc)
so when you raised the base clock of the cpu from 133 to 150,the ram frequency also increased from 1330(133x10) to 1500(150x10).It might damage your ram if you keep it running at such a high frequency.
so just change the ram multiplier to a lower value and try to keep it as close to 1333 as possible .

Moreover, 72 degrees while running prime 95 is not that bad,as your processor will almost never get so stressed in a real life situation.
I would suggest you to download real temp or core temp and monitor the max temp after gaming(keep real temp running in the background while you game and then check the max temps).If you are below 70 ,then there is absolutely nothing to worry.Also,try to improve the airflow of your case as it may help to keep the temps down.

hope that helps.
cheers :)

rewben2

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, so I should try and lower the multiplier of my ram to keep it as close to 1333 as I can?

And also, I kept the voltage setting to auto. Should I manually make it a certain amount? If so, how can I determine the best voltage for my OC and a suitable voltage to keep my system stable? Is raising the voltage or the bus speed the thing that raises the temperature, or both?

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

yes,you should lower the multiplier.Even going a little below 1333 won't hurt the gaming performance.Or if you have ram that is capable of overclocking ,then you can do that also.
I would suggest keeping the Vcore on auto,unless you are willing to dive with both feet into OCing.
For Detailed Overclocking procedure search google for this: 3 step overclocking guide.

The temp of the cpu is directly proportional to the amount of voltage being fed into the cpu i.e,Vcore at a particular instant.And higher Voltage is required to keep the processor running at higher frequency stably.