Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h no post and wierd beep pattern

proxysix

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
my setup is

mobo : gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h
ram : Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory w/ Red LEDs Model BL2KIT25664TR1337
hdd : 1tb
proc : amd 955 x4 3.2ghz phenom II black edition

my problem is i cant post , my beeper beeps 3 long times and 1 short time and then repeats. i think my problem is my ram , it requires 1.65v and ive read that the defualt gigabyte ram volt seting is 1.50 or something. my ram LEDs dont even come on.

ive tried everything to get this thing to post. i guess i just got to get a ram stick that requires a low voltage then set it to a hugher voltage in bios and then i can use my cruicals

what do you guys think?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

What kind of BIOS chip do you have in that board? Award? I don't see any pattern of 3 long, 1 short beeps in the Gigabyte listing or even in older AMI beep codes.

Continuous long beeps or 1 long & 3 short usually means a graphics card problem, and 1 long, 1 short means a RAM problem. Sometimes the beep codes are hard to discern correctly unless you have a good 1-2" speaker attached for clarity, rather than just a small pizzoelectric buzzer.

One thing you could do is tak out the RAM, and see if you get the same beep pattern.

Also Gigabyte has a memory compatability sheet for this motherboard which is listed here:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-890gpa-ud3h_v.2.1.pdf

That may help determine if your RAM is compatable with this system. It does say the board supplies 1.5 V to the RAM.

Beep patterns for your MOBO:

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

DDR for your MOBO - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GA-890GPA-UD3H
Crucial spec'ed (Tracer) - http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=3D534516A5CA7304

My assumption is DDR (long beeps); just checking, I assume that you installed the DDR in slots DDR3_1 & DDR3_3 {Blue Slots}. If not then simple fix. However, as stated above the "Crucial Approved DDR" for your MOBO did not list your DDR (see sped'ed).

In addition, try to reboot with 1 DDR in slot DDR3_1 {closest to CPU}.

If you have two DDR3 installed, it's not to be confused with "Tri-Channel DDR3" in your case it is "Dual-Channel DDR3". Also, without any OC of your DDR the supported speeds are:

"Support for DDR3 1866(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR3 sockets for optimum performance."

proxysix

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
well i ordered a 1gig stick that is tested to work with my board and is only 1.50 volts and not 1.64 volts , so it should be here on Friday and ill know if it has to do with default voltage settings.

but im going to go ahead and test everything else in my old pc and check back with you guys

proxysix

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
well i know now that its the mobo , i put a 1gb stick in each slot and the wierd beeps continued , im seending this back to newegg for a replacment. is it possible that my crucial sticks f***** up my mobo? if i try putting them in new board will it fry that one too?

i was kind of ignoring this but when i installed the crucial sticks and i turned on my PC i smelt a weird smell but diddnt see any burn marks or busted capacitors but i did notice my ram stick wasn't completely in the slot. and that the fact that the second crucial stick was not lighting up so it could not have possible fryed both of them because they 2nd one was installed correctly

onomradus

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

what if there is no beep?? but cpu & chase fan is on..
help please... :cry:

gigabyte 890gpa
phenom x2 955be
corsair xms3 1600Mhz

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I have the same memory on the same board, worked fine at a lower CSL 9 @ 1.5V. Not having one stick seated properly, especially if it was tilted, is most likely the cause of the problem. Damage to both sticks of ram and the mobo are very likely. Weird smells aren't a good sign, even if you don't physically see any damage.

proxysix

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

yea it was just my slot that was fried , i got a new mobo two weeks later and they both worked fine, matter a fact they are still working fine , im going to buy the again so i can have 8 gigs in a few days