Yet another help me select a MOBO question

bktanner

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I am looking for suggestions for a good gaming motherboard.

I know a lot about computers and such, but have never built a system completely on my own. I have read and understand a lot about the hardware I am looking at purchasing, but know almost nothing about what brands / models of motherboards are the best around for gaming.

The requirements:

CPU: i5 760 (LGA 1156)
Would prefer ATX, as I will be building a midsized tower (haven't started looking at these either)
Will be running 2 x Geforce GTX 460s in SLI
Probably going for DDR 1600 RAM, not sure yet there either.

I am a complete newbie at overclocking, but I would like to try it out, so a motherboard with nice/easy overclocking features would be nice as well.

The cheaper the better, but price isn't a huge issue. I will take all suggestions and downgrade in price if I need to, I am mostly just trying to get an idea of what the better motherboards are.

Thanks a lot!

bktanner

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion =).

Can you explain why you have suggested that board? Does it have a nice easy bios for overclocking? Will my SLI configuration be slowed down in any significant way due to running PCIe x8/x8 instead of both at x16?

Thanks for the help =).

Also anyone else with suggestions feel free to chime in.

8x/8x will only be a marginal loss than the 16x/16x config. So i wont say that you would have a great loss there. I would like to ask you about the budget of the mobo that you plan to buy.

I would also say the Asus Maximus III Formula as an option. Its $250.

bktanner

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Price isn't a huge issue, I am just trying to get a feel for what the "good" motherboards are and what fits my need.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've skimmed some of the reviews of the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, I was just curious why you guys were recommending it =D.

tecmo34

Administrator
My reasons for recommending the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro:

1) ASUS is one of the best motherboard manufactures

2) It has acceptable SLI support at x8,x8, which gives you the required support for two GTX 460's.

3) Gives you the ability to utilize the newer technology of USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0Gb/s, as these become more mainstream applications

4) One of the better priced boards with comments 2 & 3 included.

5) The motherboard provides easy overclocking tools in both the BIOS and Windows Applications to help with "new" overclockers as well as the required support to those that are familar with overclockings.

6) With that said, the motherboard has soon through reviews (customer and testing sites) to be a capable overclocking motherboard.

aznphatty

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

I have also looked at this motherboard, and I've read on numerous forums that there is a high pitch noise that comes from this board. Do you have any personal experience with this board and heard anything coming from the board? I is the gigabyte P55A UD4P a better choice?

tecmo34

Administrator
I've had limited exposure to the motherboard outside of similar reviews. I helped a friend with a build and don't recall the noise. Again, it was limited through overseeing the build to OS/Driver installation. I have heard any complaints out of him bur through fan noises & headsets, I'm nor sure he hear it. :D

As for the Gigabyte, it is a decent board but you lose USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0Gb/s when you run dual cards. They will run at current USB 2.0 & SATA II speeds.

TRENDING THREADS