Please help me - Vista Display Issue- Graphics Card BLACK SCREEN

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help here.

Quick Description: When I boot my system, from the "Gigabyte" loading screen, through to the post, up to the little Windows green loading bar It looks fuzzy, blue lines, the fonts on top of each other, etc. After seeing just the green loading bar at the bottom for 5-10 seconds, the screen just goes black and stays that way.

Details and attempts:: I can boot in safe mode, any safe modes work. I tried system check for errors, virus scans, the usual stuff gives me nothing when i go to reboot out of safe mode, it doesn't go past the black screen of death.

After looking over the internet and dicking with my computer, i went into device manager, and disabled my video card (Nvidia 8800GT 512MB), when I restarted my comp (normal mode) it worked, except it was running off of onboard video obviously. When I went to enable the video card, and reboot (into normal mode) for that change to take effect, I again get the black screen. I repeated this cycle, going back into safe mode, updating video drivers from nvidia, deleting old ones, even installing drivers from the disc that came with the card. Nothing.

All this leads me to believe my video card is done. I have taken it out, cleaned it, put it back in, still same issues.

Could anyone confirm if my hypothesis is right or could be right? Just looking for some extra input, I don't really know that much about troubleshooting my computer to this extent. It is a homebuilt system I built about a year ago.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Here's the exact name of the PSU I use: OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black.

Never had a problem with it though. Ill try putting the card in a different system.

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Ok So I put the video card in an old XPS system and I had issues, it was time for a video card upgrade.

I'm looking to by one in the 150-300$ range on newegg.ca (Canadian).

Can anyone recommend a good one ( I do game) in that price range.
Also the new cards, namely the ATI cards are DDR5, will that work with the Gigabyte p35 Motherboard? My screen size is 20".

ssgixx

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
System is:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 Running at 3.0ghz
4GB ddr2 Patriot RAM 4-4-4-12
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HD
Antec 900 Case
Gigabyte P35 MB
20" Samsung Screen (Might upgrade to 24" in future when i upgrade CPU)