Career change. ITT Tech or ECPI?

Rootsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I'm looking to make a career switch. I have a assoc. Degree in horticulture right now. I work for a tree company as an Arborist. I'm 29 years old. I've always been a hobbiest in the computer world. Many years ago I started taking a mcse course. Then decided I didn't want to work inside in cubicles. Regretting that now. Anyone here go/went to ITT Tech or ECPI? More expensive then regular college but faster graduation? Would you go to get a degree or just take some certifications to enter the industry. I'm looking to get into network security. Linux certification would be something I'm persuing. Maybe some mac certification as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
I guess I was lucky and got my 4 year right out of high school, but this is what I've been told.

If you have almost no real world experience, a degree is almost a must. Certs can help, but solely relying on them will severely limit your opportunities.

You mentioned you want to get into Network Security. My guess is get a 2yr+ degree in networking and get a cert in security.

A Cert is more of a complement to what you already know, not a class in that area.

From personal experience from classes and working as IT and working with people in Networking and Security, that's a good route to go. You're not stuck in a cubicle and you get to meet people. Like any IT job, it's not really social, but you get to be more social than a programmer and more walking to boot.

I went from working at a warehouse on my feet all day to programming and not moving. Not sure which is worse, standing or sitting all day.

G

First - Good for you, that's wonderful that you are considering advancing your career!!

I've heard a lot of good things about ECPI, especially with IT related programs. yeah, i heard that might be higher cost, but faster to get your degree. I agree with Kewlx25 that a degree will help you be more competitive in the long term than only a certification.

best of luck!!

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I considered ITT when I was younger and never went. I didn't have any idea what I wanted to do, and the tuition was above 20,000 which turned me off.

I've been at my current job as a network administrator for almost 3 years. When I started, I had limited experience and I was probably midway into my associates degree : network admin and support w\ a focus on cisco systems.

Anyhow...I've currently got an mcp cert and my ccent and am taking the icnd2 test next month to complete my ccna. I'm pretty confident that after I have my ccna, I'll have alot more job opportunities, especially if I extend it and get my cvoice or another specialized cert.

Certs will look good and help get you interviews and call backs but you'll need experience to land a good paying job.