Sign in with
Your question

Thermal paste setup using cm v8 heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2010 7:00:23 AM

im thinking of putting a new thermal compound on my cpu...arctic sliver 5...im running a amd x2 5600+ cpu using a coolermaster v8 heatsink...whats the best way to put the thermal comppound using this type of heatsink...spreading the paste using a plastic bag? or just put a pea size amount and putting the heatsink back on letting it spread on its own weight?....whats the best way for this heatsink?...thanks
March 26, 2010 8:25:04 AM

The best way i found to apply thermal paste is to apply a small amount in the center of the CPU and spread it using a credit card or something similar to ensure there is an even amount applied. Only apply enough for a very thin layer otherwise you waste the compound and too much can also cause heat issues. If it is coming out any of the sides when the heatsink is secured you know you have used too much.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 9:02:11 AM

Why don't you go to the manufacturer's website for your compound and see what they say?

There's about 20 different ways people apply compound and as long as you don't use too much I've never noticed any difference in performance.
a c 93 à CPUs
March 26, 2010 6:39:16 PM

Best way I found was to apply the smallest amount possible and use my finger in a surgical glove to evenly smear, AR5 goes along way.
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 6:44:38 PM

rathana_v said:
im thinking of putting a new thermal compound on my cpu...arctic sliver 5...im running a amd x2 5600+ cpu using a coolermaster v8 heatsink...whats the best way to put the thermal comppound using this type of heatsink...spreading the paste using a plastic bag? or just put a pea size amount and putting the heatsink back on letting it spread on its own weight?....whats the best way for this heatsink?...thanks

Best way to spread the paste IMO is by putting a small dab in the middle of the spreader and using an old debit/credit card to spread evenly.

March 26, 2010 7:12:01 PM

looks good maybe a little too thick remember juss about as thick as a piece of paper.
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2010 7:33:16 PM

mobster1227 said:
looks good maybe a little too thick remember juss about as thick as a piece of paper.

who are you talking to?
a c 105 à CPUs
March 26, 2010 7:50:08 PM

i just ran a test on 3 theories of applying thermal paste; grabbed temp just after boot and then ran Far Cry 2 benchmark 3x loop to get load. Hwmonitor to capture min/max temps, Antec Silver as paste.

Antec Silver thermal compound directions
apply small amount of silver on the heatsink using a small plastic bag. Use a lint free cloth to wipe the surface leaving a thin layer. Apply amount of silver equal to 1/2 the size of a peace of rice on the CPU. Spread with a razor.
29c on boot / 46c after Far Cry loop

Apply amount of silver equal to the size of a BB on the CPU. Spread with a razor.
27c on boot / 47c after far cry loop

Apply amount of silver equal to the size of a BB on the CPU, install the heatsink.
24c on boot / 44c after the far cry

SO THE ONE AND ONLY PROPER WAY TO APPLY THERMAL PASTE IS......
apply a small amount on the CPU or heatsink, spread it or leave it, install heatsink...enjoy

* athlon II x 435 @ 3.3 CPU with a rosewill aftermarket cooler
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2010 4:00:33 AM

ct1615 said:
i just ran a test on 3 theories of applying thermal paste; grabbed temp just after boot and then ran Far Cry 2 benchmark 3x loop to get load. Hwmonitor to capture min/max temps, Antec Silver as paste.

Antec Silver thermal compound directions
apply small amount of silver on the heatsink using a small plastic bag. Use a lint free cloth to wipe the surface leaving a thin layer. Apply amount of silver equal to 1/2 the size of a peace of rice on the CPU. Spread with a razor.
29c on boot / 46c after Far Cry loop

Apply amount of silver equal to the size of a BB on the CPU. Spread with a razor.
27c on boot / 47c after far cry loop

Apply amount of silver equal to the size of a BB on the CPU, install the heatsink.
24c on boot / 44c after the far cry

SO THE ONE AND ONLY PROPER WAY TO APPLY THERMAL PASTE IS......
apply a small amount on the CPU or heatsink, spread it or leave it, install heatsink...enjoy

* athlon II x 435 @ 3.3 CPU with a rosewill aftermarket cooler

:clap:
Excellent test ct. That's the kind of effort that makes this community great.
March 28, 2010 10:10:36 AM

ovr i was talking to you
!