How to disable onboard graphics?

artilles

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi.

I'm going to install a new graphics card(first time doing it) but the installation guide advises me to disable my onboard graphics adapter...either by jumper or by changing the graphics adapter priority in the Mainboard BIOS...but the problem is, i have no idea what a jumper is nor how to disable it by the bios... And another thing. How do i know if the cables from the PSU is either 6-pin or 8-pin?

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
You usually disable it in your bios. When your computer starts up go into your bios and find the option for your onboard video and change it to disable.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Also would help to know your system specs/ how many watts is your PSU/what brand is it/your system specs/what card do you plan on getting.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
The difference between the two is that 6-pin supplies 75W and the 8-pin supplies 150W.

6-pin
psu-6pinpcie-small.jpg

8-pin
psu-8pinpcie-small.jpg

artilles

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Instead of telling about my specs...again i'll just refer you to a previous thread with everything you need. Also..this is the card that i bought:
https://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=495278 (Ignore the weird language.)
and this is the thread including my specs:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=278175&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

artilles

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hmm...or maybe the graphics card doesn't require any power from the PSU after all? Even it says in the Install Guide under important tips & techniques that it requires power cables from the psu...well..it doesn't really look like it needs any power cables on the GPU...

Misguiding quik install instructions ftl?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Recently I've observed a PC at work disable onboard graphics automatically... it detected another GPU and took care of itself. The Windows Device Manager confirmed this... the onboard video system wasn't listed. I believe this is becoming more and more common.

^I have noticed this as well. Some BIOS will automatically disable the onboard when the presents on an expansion card is detected. You can always just in stall the card, and then check the Device Manager and see if the onboard is still installed.

Jumpers? man I don't recall any modern motherboards that use jumpers anymore.. I'm glad those days are over. Trying to set the bus, clock, and multipliers from a bank of jumpers. I had those plastic tweezers in my toolbox. haha.

artilles

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Nvm. I installed the graphic cards just fine..even tho i disabled the onboard graphics before i installed the new gpu..it turned on(in device manager) right after the installation. O'well..at least i got a new graphics card that'd run games just fine.

artilles

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Installed the latest driver right away after i installed the GPU. It killed the 3600 Series, it runs DA: Origins on MAX settings, now i'm gonna test it on CoD 4.