How to set up your drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejay5552

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I am using a SSD(120GB) for the first time in a new build and a HDD(1TB) as extra internal storage. Both are plugged into the sata 1&2 on the mb. After installing Window 7 Ult. 64bit, windows is only reading the ssd. Can someone please tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Solution
If it's a brand new HDD, you'll probably need to partition and format it before it will show up in Windows Explorer:

Click "Start" --> right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".

Click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

Scroll down to the BOTTOM of the MIDDLE pane.

You should see your new disk there with a label such as "Disk 1" or "Disk 2", etc. Right-click on the label in order to create a new volume (which partitions the drive) and then again to format it.

Once it's formatted Windows will assign the next available drive letter to it and then it will appear in Windows Explorer.
If it's a brand new HDD, you'll probably need to partition and format it before it will show up in Windows Explorer:

Click "Start" --> right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".

Click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

Scroll down to the BOTTOM of the MIDDLE pane.

You should see your new disk there with a label such as "Disk 1" or "Disk 2", etc. Right-click on the label in order to create a new volume (which partitions the drive) and then again to format it.

Once it's formatted Windows will assign the next available drive letter to it and then it will appear in Windows Explorer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.