DVI vs VGA vs HDMI need advice

mastermind1297

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have a 20" monitor with max resolution of 1600x900.

My video card is an 8600gt with two DVI outputs.

The problem is that my monitor only has a VGA or a HDMI input.

Currently I have the VGA hooked up through a DVI to VGA adapter and my question
is if spending 30+ dollars on a DVI to HDMI would give a quality improvement for some
gameplay or movie watching?

Solution
My experience is there's not much difference between VGA and DVI. I know many people say DVI is better because it's digital, but my own experience is I can't tell much of a difference.

Also DVI and HDMI can look different. I had a LCD TV hooked up via DVI on my cable box and when I switched to HDMI, it looked better. Who knows why. Maybe it was the cables or TV circuitry. The only way to know is try each one and see for yourself.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
HDMI signal can be encrypted and will be required to watch any HD videos on your computer

edit: you can still watch a HD video with no HDMI, but Windows will down-convert the stream to lower quality, so it won't be HD anymore.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
My experience is there's not much difference between VGA and DVI. I know many people say DVI is better because it's digital, but my own experience is I can't tell much of a difference.

Also DVI and HDMI can look different. I had a LCD TV hooked up via DVI on my cable box and when I switched to HDMI, it looked better. Who knows why. Maybe it was the cables or TV circuitry. The only way to know is try each one and see for yourself.

Solution

elaidlejr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I couldn't disagree more. I'm a web designer and gamer. If the PC-end is VGA, you'd definitely see a quality difference in your picture by going DVI to HDMI. I can't say the difference will be as dramatic as mine was, but I bet you'll notice.

Example: I have a 42" TV with VGA and HDMI hook-up. My GFX cards (Nvidia GTX260, 8800GT) both show improvements.

HDMI-VGA: At it's native resolution it looked good and text was legible from a distance for the most part.

HDMI-DVI: I got a new cable from a friend and thought I'd try it out. I hadn't done anything like this before and thought the results would be something like hooking up S-Video or something, so I didn't expect much. When I booted up Windows (Vista at the time) and saw the login I literally said "W...T....-" My eyes got bigger as I logged in and saw how vibrant and crisp everything was. Small text, previously illegible, was easily seen from across the room.

*If you can get it locally, don't be afraid to try it out and return it if it isn't satisfactory.