Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone have any idea when hard drive prices will go back down?

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2012 12:03:15 AM

I wanna get a couple more hard drives to put in raid but I dont wanna buy them right now while I can get 3 for the price of 1 when the prices go back down.I heard 2013. Is that right?
a c 415 G Storage
January 15, 2012 1:04:07 AM

I'd expect 6 months to a year or so.
a c 352 G Storage
January 15, 2012 2:50:33 AM

^ that what I've also read with an outside change of early 2013.
Related resources
a c 352 G Storage
January 15, 2012 2:53:17 AM

^ also what I've read, with an outside change of early 2013. Several companies have had to replace damaged equipment so that will contribute to keeping prices up some even after production resumes.
a b G Storage
January 15, 2012 4:04:58 AM

Thankfully prices are already coming down much quicker than expected. SSDs are really making huge inways with the inflated HDD prices, so they are going to try to get prices back to normal very quickly to counter that. Also there is a bit of a price war between companies trying to get what few customers there are. My bet is 2TB drives under $100 in the early-mid summer (norther hemisphere of course :-P ), and then prices will drop again as we are expecting 4 and 6TB drives to come out in 2012 (just looked and Hitachi already released their 4TB, more will follow soon) which should bring prices back to normal or below for 1-2TB drives before Christmas.

For now just enjoy the entertainment of Hitachi being the cheapest drives available, when they are normally some of the more expensive 'business class' drives on the market. That's gotta be eating at Seagate which is traditionally $2-5 cheaper than everyone else.
January 22, 2012 6:52:27 PM

got 3x 2TB USB2 Externals Hitachi last week for $100 each at a compusa store saw 3TB USB2 Externals Hitachi at $150 but all the other HDD were still high.
January 23, 2012 10:00:45 AM

I read an article last couple weeks about common item that will cost more in 2012. They listed hard drives and said production should catch up in the first quarter and if you can hold out til the 3rd quarter they may be coming down.

Sucks for me as I just had a hd failure and needed a new external and it cost me $165 w/tax for a 2TB WD. Unbelievable as I got a 1TB 2 yrs ago for $65, not the one that failed.
March 31, 2012 11:19:03 PM

Never
April 1, 2012 2:05:57 AM

reimomo said:
Never

QFT.

Also, it is in the manufacturer's interest to keep you thinking that production will be delayed for a long time, so that you do not put off purchasing their HDDs at double+ prices ATM.

Isn't the electronics industry known for JIT manufacturing and all that? Should we REALLY think that it's going to take WD four years (or whatever hooey) to get back up to speed? They just think this is an excellent opportunity to end the price wars and keep "prices sticky downward".

-----

So if you can find a super deal on an external drive, but you need an internal drive, can't you just rip the thing open and use that? After the 2 week return policy and you are sure that it works, since the warranty will be void.

I saw a sale for a 2 TB USB 3.0 external. If unit is USB3.0 and it does run at that speed, then doesn't that mean that the unit must contain a SATA III 6GB/s drive? Some external drives are noisy, some aren't. Opinions?
April 2, 2012 10:52:02 AM

Thankfully prices are already coming down much quicker than expected. SSDs are really making huge inways with the inflated HDD prices, so they are going to try to get prices back to normal very quickly to counter that. Also there is a bit of a price war between companies trying to get what few customers there are. My bet is 2TB drives under $100 in the early-mid summer (norther hemisphere of course :-P ), and then prices will drop again as we are expecting 4 and 6TB drives to come out in 2012 (just looked and Hitachi already released their 4TB, more will follow soon) which should bring prices back to normal or below for 1-2TB drives before Christmas.
April 2, 2012 11:50:47 AM

CaedenV said:
Thankfully prices are already coming down much quicker than expected. SSDs are really making huge inways with the inflated HDD prices, so they are going to try to get prices back to normal very quickly to counter that. Also there is a bit of a price war between companies trying to get what few customers there are. My bet is 2TB drives under $100 in the early-mid summer (norther hemisphere of course :-P ), and then prices will drop again as we are expecting 4 and 6TB drives to come out in 2012 (just looked and Hitachi already released their 4TB, more will follow soon) which should bring prices back to normal or below for 1-2TB drives before Christmas.bueno amophoto retouchingr yo de eso no he escuchado a nadie decir que es mal amante o que no sirve en la cama eso solo lo puede decir mcitpcon quien has estado o como solia pasar en las becas escuchabas70-680 comentarios de los gemidos de fulana con fulano y le estaba haciendo esto u aquello, es mcts70-640o es muy relativo corazon hay quien son buenos otros no tantas y las hay que no sirven tampoco....

For now just enjoy the entertainment of Hitachi being the cheapest drives available, when they are normally some of the more expensive 'business class' drives on the market. That's gotta be eating at Seagate which is traditionally $2-5 cheaper than everyone else.
April 9, 2012 4:19:37 PM

eXistenZ said:
Also, it is in the manufacturer's interest to keep you thinking that production will be delayed for a long time, so that you do not put off purchasing their HDDs at double+ prices ATM.

Isn't the electronics industry known for JIT manufacturing and all that? Should we REALLY think that it's going to take WD four years (or whatever hooey) to get back up to speed? They just think this is an excellent opportunity to end the price wars and keep "prices sticky downward".

True. I really "want" to upgrade out of my 1.7 GHz machine I bought for $50, which still works and is rocking a couple 200GB EIDE drives, but not until HDD prices drop some.

I also really "want" to build a HTPC with new parts, but want those prices to drop as well.

I will not blink first!
May 25, 2012 1:44:47 AM

Yeah a year ago a Hitachi 5K3000 2TB drive was $70, and in fact I bought it when it was $60 after $10 rebate on Newegg. I think maybe with any luck by Christmas of 2012 we'll see those prices again. Right now pricewatch has the cheapest 2TB drives at $120
!