Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i've read conflicting things in regard to daily hard boots on a modern computer...some things say doesn't matter, some say it can cause issues.....one thing that is especially mentioned is the hard drive, and the corrupting of the hard drive...i was wondering, for SSD drives, if they are effected any differently...if they are less likely or more likely to be effected in anyway to repeated hard boots?

Solution
I also tend to avoid sleep/hibernation and NEVER by the "green" drive.
Long term effect, I'd guestimate that SSDs would come out ahead. Simiply from the fact that the HDD is mechanical and has to reposition the heads. On a more positive note, Unless the cycling is high, probably most HDDs would still hold up reasonably well.

Although you would be very hard pressed to find it, but there is a on/off cycle rating just like on connectors - there is a mate/demate cycle rating.
If you power off the computer in the middle of a "write" cycle and that cycle can not be completed - I'd say same-same, the file will be corrupted. Many of the newer SSDs now have a "large" Capacitor with enough energy to complet the write cycle if in the middle of the write. In this case the SSD is less suseptable to corruption. This is harder to do for a Mechanical HDD as considerably more energy is required.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
was hoping you would respond chief, saw you posting recently...you usually know what you're talking about. unfortunately this information is too specific, i'm looking for a more general answer, which addresses long term usage. the constant firing up and powering down on the hard drives (if you look at the official documentation) this has a degradation effect....seems to be two sides of the argument, some say it doesn't matter as much anymore because of the sophistication of the components....ideally they want people using all of the throttling and sleep states, which i use none of.

I also tend to avoid sleep/hibernation and NEVER by the "green" drive.
Long term effect, I'd guestimate that SSDs would come out ahead. Simiply from the fact that the HDD is mechanical and has to reposition the heads. On a more positive note, Unless the cycling is high, probably most HDDs would still hold up reasonably well.

Although you would be very hard pressed to find it, but there is a on/off cycle rating just like on connectors - there is a mate/demate cycle rating.

Solution

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
The main limitation for SSDs is the limited number of write cycles that can be done before it starts to fail. The good news is that you would have to do a LOT of writing to a SSD to hit that limitation. Due to no moving parts vs. moving parts SSDs should live longer than standard HDDs.