Cisco VPN connects, but remote desktop doesn't

crabman27

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop. I am using the Cisco VPN client version 4.8 on both. I need to connect to 2 different remote networks on a regular basis. The desktop connects to both networks and remote desktop works on all remote machines. The laptop connects to both networks, but I can only connect to remote machines on one of the networks.

When I VPN into the other network, remote desktop fails with the message: "This computer can't connect to the remote computer." Any ideas on what I should check or change on my laptop to get remote desktop working?

Thanks,
Jon

crabman27

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

About Remote Desktop is shell version 6.0.6001, control version 6.0.6001 on both, and it says that RDP 6.1 is supported.

I found difference in the remote servers that may be my issue. The one that I am unable to connect to from my laptop has 2 network adapters.

In tscc (terminal services configuration), the network adapter is currently set to "All network adapters configured with this protocol", which is the default setting. There are 2 adapters listed in the drop-down: "HP NC324i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter" and "HP NC324i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter #2".

The first one is listed as "iSCSI" (Control Panel --> Network Connections) and #2 is called "Public".

I read in another forum that I should set the network adapter to the "correct" adapter, instead of using the "all network adapters..."

Do you think this is the problem? I have no idea why this would trip up my laptop but not my desktop.

Jon

crabman27

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
No, I can't ping the remote computer from the laptop, and disabling the firewall doesn't help.

I'm going to try to set the adapter in the terminal services configuration. I can't do that until I schedule time with somebody at the remote site who can reverse any damage caused if that doesn't fix things. I'll post the results at that point.

Thanks for your help, Sturm.

Jon

***UPDATE***
I picked adapter #2, but it didn't make any difference. I still got the same error. I ended up getting a Cisco engineer to troubleshoot and fix my machine. I'm not sure exactly what he did to fix it, but here are some of the things I saw him doing. He set the network adapters on my laptop to obtain an IP address automatically, disabled my Cisco adapter, and changed something in my TCPIP settings on my wireless adapter.