Amd 970 overheating

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello All,

Gigabyte 970A-UD3
amd phenom II x4 970 BE (oc 4225mhz, 1.456v)
coolmaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler(w\ 2 coolmaster 120mm fans,push\pull)
corsair tx 650w
gigabyte hd 6870 oc 1gb (oc 920mhz, 1150mhz)
Corsair vengenace (2x 4gb, 9-9-9-24-1t)
vertex ssd 128GB
segate 500gb (6gb sata)
segate 500gb (3gb sata)
segate 3 TB (6gb sata)
3 120mm case fans
1 140mm case fan
windows 7 ulimate 64

So I have had this running OC'ed since xmas. no troubles. then I get the dumb idea to re apply the heat sink, (always looking for the best tim method). ever since then though my temps have not stayed stable. I went from 33c-34c idle(cie enabled), to 58c with prime 95. Now with heat sink re seated, and reseated...and so on(literally i have used 2 full tubes of mx-4) it idles low enough 34c, but goes up to 62c pretty damned fast. So I went and got a new cooler, bigger one flatter bottom(name escapes me, but a CM 600ish) same thing. The mounting was wierd though, so I went and exchanged it for another CM evo. while there are less "grooves" in it there are still some present, and the temp trouble remains.

....So, my question is, is it possible my cpu has just become unstable? is it possible Im messing the tim up?(of course it is) might some of the mx4, got onto the side\under cap of the cpu and its causing the trouble? or is it sealed? Is it possible to clean the pin side if something got onto it?

I have been doing this for the last 3 days. I need help, I have become very smelly, and cant see straight!

well thanks for looking, and any help!

natham10

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

Thats wierd... maybe your mobo is not powering the cooler correctly. Can you control the fans manually ? Are you having stability problems, or the only problem is the temperature ?

I have a better question..... does the temp stay at 66 C? If so simply be happy.
If not happy write down all your OC settings and pop the bios battery for 10 minutes
then OC your CPU again.

I won't suggest removing the heatsink again, by this time I'll assume you've got it done correctly. Did you remove the push pull fans ? Any chance you put them on backwards ? I'm not saying anything rude just offering suggestions

Are you sure you are running the same test in prime95 ? This can also be the difference in the way the temp shoots up

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
hey all, thanks for the responses. I did some reading last night, and thought i might have gotten some tim or finger prints\oil on the cpu. so i tried a tooth brush and some 99% alcohol. goona let it sit for the night(as im going camping), I will post back later.

No rudeness perceived! Sometimes things are over looked thats why I posted. I have checked the fans their all correct. I checked them in bios, and speed fan.

Again I will post back on sat, and hope that the cleaning the cpu worked!

...thank goodness for backup pc!

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
ok so I got back last night(climbed the highest mountain in Colorado..Hurtin)

I just put comp back together. its not my tim application. I actually got an even lower idle then i ever have. the temps however, when i run prime95 jump up to 62c+. So I just set everything back to default. Im running prime95 as i type this, and temps are staying at 50c.
So could the cpu have become to stable to run at that voltage(1.472), or just unstable at that speed period? of course this is unacceptable! any ideas? should i say screw the cpu and go buy another? as I do have an am3+ capable board.

Thanks again!

What mountain is that ? I thought the highest point was somewhere around winter park am I wrong ?
I heard they had terrible snow in that area.

Was there in 2002 ski'd/boarded the *** outta everything for miles even took a trip up Berthoud Pass

CPU no don't waste your money

Are you changing any other voltages ? Nothrbridge ? The Cooler master hyper 212 is a decent cooler but maybe you are expecting to much from it with that much voltage. I would think about another cooler if you want to drop temps further than 66 C I really think that is pretty good for 4.2 Ghz load.

How long do you let the test run for ? Have you thought about air circulatin in the case ?

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

Mt Elbert, its by leadville. yeah its tallest in state. beautiful views...long hike that wouldnt stop!!

yeah id rather not get another cpu, especially after i just put together another comp for testing.

again its been running on the same settings since xmas. i didnt start having troubles until i took the hsf off. I did have the NB voltage bumped up to 1.175. the vcore was at 1.472. the cm evo was keeping me at 58c under full load prime95, and oced at 4.2ghz. I tried a bigger hsf(CM hyper 612 pwm) and I had the same trouble, the temps wouldnt hold down(returned it). I set everything to default, put the CM evo back on, and ran prime95 and it held at about 51c. I will try to swap out some parts from test comp and see if it tells me something.

I have my test comp(amd b93) running oced with the amd hsf that came with the 970be.

Thanks again!