$700-$800 Dollar Gaming Computer

mugabuga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next 4-5 months BUDGET RANGE: $700-$800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Surfing the Web, Video Sites (Youtube etc.) using my iPod.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.A.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Anything as long as it works good.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: No Idea

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a window, don't really mind noise but don't want it to be super loud.

PARTS PICKED ALREADY:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Patriot Gamer Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

I would like to know if all these parts are compatible, and would like recommendations on a PSU, case and Heatsink/Fan. Would a ATI HD5770 work on this mobo? Also 64 or 32-bit?

Solution
Jetway isn't a good mobo choice. It's just not high quality. Stick to Asus, Gigabyte, and maybe MSI at a distant third.

I'm with srbarry though. You'd be much better off for gaming by getting the i5-750 and a massive GPU. And while I'm talking about the GPU, nVidia is a horrible choice right now.

You might want to come back in the 4 months to actually get a build, as tech is going to change in that timeframe, especially with Intel's new CPUs and Fermi supposedly due out in a couple of months. In the mean time, save up some more cash and you could have a killer gaming machine

mugabuga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

I added everything up and I have about $150 left. And also I don't include the graphics card in the price.

Jetway isn't a good mobo choice. It's just not high quality. Stick to Asus, Gigabyte, and maybe MSI at a distant third.

I'm with srbarry though. You'd be much better off for gaming by getting the i5-750 and a massive GPU. And while I'm talking about the GPU, nVidia is a horrible choice right now.

You might want to come back in the 4 months to actually get a build, as tech is going to change in that timeframe, especially with Intel's new CPUs and Fermi supposedly due out in a couple of months. In the mean time, save up some more cash and you could have a killer gaming machine

Solution

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Me again, per the Fermi stuff, this is why I was planning on using my old 4670 for now in my new build, get the i5 cpu/MOBO/case/PSU now and then add the GPU later. From your comment above I assume this is reasonable.

But what do you mean about the new intel CPUs? Is there anything coming that might make me want to wait and not get the i5 now?

Thanks

No, the i5 is a great CPU. Intel just released some new dual cores on the LGA1156 socket, and the i9 is supposed to be coming along sometime, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. It's more of a general statement, as a lot of changes just happened or are coming in the next year or so. Thus, prices aren't exactly what one would call stable right now.

Regardless, I would wait as long as possible before buying anything, as the prices will fall over time. If you find some really good deals on the longer lasting parts (PSU, case, optical drive, etc.), go ahead and get it.

mugabuga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
So, choose a new mobo, wait for the graphics card, and look at the i5-750? So should I wait for new nVidia DX11 cards, or maybe the same card now but 2 in SLI? Also, any recommendations for a case?

I would just wait on everything. Prices are going to either stay the same or come down.

Good cases are the Antec 300 Illusion, Antec 900, Antec 902, and HAF 922. Those range from $60 to $110. THere are other good ones, but I can't think of them right now.