Sign in with
Your question

First Timer Build

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 12:30:12 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid 2010 (I know it's far out, but I'm antsy to start looking and day dreaming)

BUDGET RANGE: $1,200 USD after rebates but before shipping.

SYSTEM USAGE: Gaming, Web, Netflix.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, HDMI cable.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com. But if there's a cheaper item at a reputable site, then I'll order from their.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: AMERICA!

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really. Just reliable and within my price range.

OVERCLOCKING: As long as I'll see a major gaming improvement, then Yes.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, after I save up for another GPU.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Within my price range and looks good, that's all I'm looking for.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As quiet as possible, will be located under my desk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected Components

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R
standard disc drive

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX
reviews state this case keeps things cool, and with 4 fans, I'd like to believe it

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
would definitely like more storage space, but I'm pushing my budget limit already

ASUS MS226H Glossy Piano-Black / White 21.5" 2ms
2ms response time and good reviews led me towards this monitor

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5
ati has been highly recomended to me, and this card is the best i think i can get for the price. but if the new nvidia cards cause inferior cards to drop in price, I'll go as high as this 5770 costs now. maybe a liitle higher if it's worth it

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V
tom's hardware recommended a 750w for crossfire use. so i chose one

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
only worry is if it's compatible with my mobo

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
tom's hardware recommendation

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
4 cores is a must and this has good reviews for overclocking

ECS P55H-A(1.0) LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX
reviews state this is a great mobo for the price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I missing anything that won't work between these components? Should I switch a certain component out for a different brand? Do I need more/less? This is my first build ever, so I'm a little overwhelmed with everything I've read online. Hopefully I've done my homework...

More about : timer build

January 21, 2010 1:13:06 AM

You're off to a pretty good start. Keep in mind that in 6 months technology will have changed significantly. If you were buy this system in the coming weeks, I would make the following suggestions:

Swap the HDD out for a Samsung spinpoint f3. They come in 500gb and 1TB models and are faster than the WDs out now.

You won't need a 750w PSU for the one 5770. A good 550w+ unit will be sufficient. If you plan to crossfire in the future, I would actually upgrade to a quality 850w+ model.
January 21, 2010 4:03:09 AM

foolycooly said:
You're off to a pretty good start. Keep in mind that in 6 months technology will have changed significantly. If you were buy this system in the coming weeks, I would make the following suggestions:

Swap the HDD out for a Samsung spinpoint f3. They come in 500gb and 1TB models and are faster than the WDs out now.

You won't need a 750w PSU for the one 5770. A good 550w+ unit will be sufficient. If you plan to crossfire in the future, I would actually upgrade to a quality 850w+ model.

Thanks for the input. I know it's a bit early, but I figure when the time comes, having spent the last few months discussing parts with needs will make the final list easier to put together. And I'll be more confident with dropping $1,200 just like that.

Keep up the tips.
!