Sign in with
Your question

SSD Help

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2012 9:38:16 AM

I recently bought a new computer that comes with an 80g SSD for the windows 7 install and a 1TB HDD to use for everything else. As you can imagine i just want all my stuff to automatically install only to the HDD and not go near the SSD. Unfortunately im finding myself setting every install to manually go to my HDD and sometimes when i dont have the option it installs onto the SSD instead. This means i have to move the file to the HDD manually and as the SSD only have a limited number of Writes in them i dont want to have to replace it sooner than needed due to this issue.

Please tell me if there is a way to make "everything" install only to the HDD and not touch my SSD (including the fact that manually changing every install/download to HDD is a pain also)

Any help would be very much apreciated ;) 

Stuart

Win7 64 bit
Core i7 2600k
SSD (C: 80g)
HDD (D: 1TB)
16gig DDR3 1600 Ram

More about : ssd

a c 323 G Storage
January 15, 2012 12:57:07 PM

If you install the freeware program PROFILE RELOCATOR right after installing Windows, you can direct it to place user programs and data on another drive for any or all users, which would put almost everything on the HDD. It will not move existing stuff, has to be a freshly made user.
January 15, 2012 1:49:26 PM

RealBeast said:
If you install the freeware program PROFILE RELOCATOR right after installing Windows, you can direct it to place user programs and data on another drive for any or all users, which would put almost everything on the HDD. It will not move existing stuff, has to be a freshly made user.

Thanks for the quick reply Realbeast, unfortunately i would like to do this without reinstalling Windows 7 as i have just about set everything up. I did try to do it without the reformat but it said it had failed.

Any manual way i could do this or another program yourself or anyone could suggest?

Thanks again for your continued help

Stuart
Related resources
a c 323 G Storage
January 15, 2012 4:22:34 PM

It is quite a chore to do it manually and I don't really recommend it, as things inevitably go wrong. But if you really want to you can use manual junction points. Look HERE and HERE. Be sure to back up first.
January 16, 2012 10:02:11 PM

RealBeast said:
It is quite a chore to do it manually and I don't really recommend it, as things inevitably go wrong. But if you really want to you can use manual junction points. Look HERE and HERE. Be sure to back up first.

Thanks again fella, ill try that option and then reformat if still an issue. Really apreciate all your help friend :) 

Stuart
!