philbo74

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I want to upgrade my CPU in my ASUS Eee Box EB1501 it currently has an Intel Atom 330 dual-core processor. 1.6 is this possible and if so what Processor should i go for cheers

randomkid

Distinguished
Tough question. The Asus Eee Box does not seem to be the kind of PC that you tinker with. But that is coming from me. Maybe others have and can give more suitable advice.

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I had the same question, but it seems the answers above are conclusive.
Does the same go for the graphics card?

I am using the PC for some light surfing lately and it is VERY sluggish - even on simple web pages with no pics or animations or anything "advanced". I have run some tests and the weak points are the processor and graphics card.

I have an SSD and 4 gigs of RAM, so that should all be fine.
I am running dual boot with Win7 and Ubuntu 14.04. Have tried both OS and different browsers with the same result.

Thanks,

T.

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for the answer.

The temp is normal/low. It is at about 30C all the time.
There is no fan at all in this tiny PC and there is no dust.

As far as I can tell the drivers are up to date, although the driver for the chipset is from 6/21/2006.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more suggestions?

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
You are right - there is a fan :D

I installed the graphics driver and maybe it is marginally better from it.
Could not install the chipset as it said it found no hardware to match any of the drivers.

More suggestions? I tried overclocking the processor, but no luck, it kept crashing. Anything else I can try in BIOS or something?

Thanks

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I have Win7 64-bit.

Ran Memtest and manually stopped it after 5.5 hours. It had then run almost 3 full cycles and found some 600 errors... Faulty RAM?

The SSD is a Kingston SV300S37A120G. Firmware was not the latest, but is now. No change.
AHCI is enabled.

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi again.

Took out the original RAM that came with the PC (2 GB Hynix) and ran memtest 1 cycle, which found no errors. I will take out the other module (2 GB Kingston) later and run memtest one more time with the Hynix just to verify.

Have been using the PC for a few hours now with only the 2 GB Kingston and everything is pretty much the same.

Even though the Hynix seems to be faulty (which I am sure does not help!), it still feels like it is mainly a CPU and graphics issue.

I have run Passmark Performance Test a few times and did it again now without the Hymix module. Still pretty much the same result - extremely low on CPU and 2D and 3D graphics. The other results are decent, considering it is a low-end living room PC.

Still it is annoying that the video is so sluggish, as it often makes it a challenge to watch a movie, whether it is streamed or from the HD or the BluRay player.

Any other ideas...?

Thanks

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
OK, thanks for that.

Just can't figure out why it is so sluggish. Even with the fairly weak CPU and graphics card I should get better performance...

Any more ideas?

The passmark results are a bit over average for this hardware, so I assume no problem with the hardware.

Please explain sluggish in detail. Does it hang, is the mouse not responding sometimes,...

Found Intel chipset drivers:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

realtek drivers up to date? LAN and audio, check realtek.com homepage

Is Bios 0401 installed?

BIOS and ATK (driver for ACPI, energy management) and USB 3.0 can be downloaded here:
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/EB1501P/HelpDesk_Download/

tondim

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi,

Already had the Intel Update Utility. I does not find anything at all when I do an auto detect and I can not find my chipset in the list, which makes sense, since I think the one I have is NVIDIA ION?
I tried to install the latest version of that (15.51) as per above instructions, but it does not find any suitable hardware for the drivers and exits.

Realtek was updated.
BIOS is 0401.
When I try to run the ATK installer I click through the 'do you want to allow? and 'are you sure?' dialoges and it briefly flashes a DOS window and that's it.

Did not have the latest USB 3.0 driver. Got them now.

It is sluggish in that it sometimes stops responding for 1-2 secs when I type (in Word, Chrome, etc.) and then blurts out all the characters at once. When I scroll on web pages it is also very slow, some times it takes 2-3 secs before anything happens.
I did however notice now that it seems much better in IE 11 than in Chrome (latest version), so I will use that for now.

But mainly it is video related things. Playing videos on youtube is almost impossible and surfing light pages (with no heavy graphics and animations) is also very slow. Just ran a test on speedtest.net and my connection was 10.73MB down, 0.92MB up and 23 ms ping. Nothing spectacular, but never had problems with that before.

To rule out anything Internet related I tried playing 3 different DVDs now and 1 played fine. The other two did not work. One was extremely choppy with huge pixels and jumping a lot and the other one crashed and demanded that I upgrade my video drivers to the latest - which I already have.

More ideas? :)

Open up taskmanager, how high is the CPU and ram usage (which apps using most) while browsing?

Gpu-z shows the temp of the graphics chip, install and log temps for a while
Do that with Coretemp too, over a period of time