Do I need to Buy RAM ?

Right now I have 3GB RAM and I have a 160 GB HD.....If I add another 500/750GB HD do I have to increase even the RAM Memory.......? are RAM and HD anyway related....?
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. RAM and hard drives are not related. you don't have to buy new ram for your new hdd
  2. Yah, there totally related ^^^ the guy above doesnt know what hes talkting about. In fact, if you wanted too, you could use some of your hdd storage as ram. So instead of having 500gb storag and 3gb ram, you can hav 247gb hdd and 250 gb of ram. (sarcasam)
  3. ^^-1
  4. ^^-1 also for Maziar
    Sarcasm helps no-one on here looking for help,
    and I suspect Sarcasam is even worse.
    Moto
  5. sai111 said:
    Right now I have 3GB RAM and I have a 160 GB HD.....If I add another 500/750GB HD do I have to increase even the RAM Memory.......? are RAM and HD anyway related....?


    Lol, I was joking, but real answer, There completly unrelatd. First off, the ram in your computer doesn't process data, your processor does. Second, the processor only uses data thats being used actively, so your fine with extra data. You can have as big of a hard drive as you would like.

    ps: you actully could in theory turn your hard drive storage into ram ( it wont be easy). You have to partition your hard drive, then trick your computer into thinking the partition is flash memory. From there you could you windows ready boost. (don't ask me how.) :non:


    Sorry about the sarcasm from before.
  6. maziar321 said:
    ps: you actully could in theory turn your hard drive storage into ram ( it wont be easy). You have to partition your hard drive, then trick your computer into thinking the partition is flash memory. From there you could you windows ready boost. (don't ask me how.) :non:


    good luck with that... :lol:
  7. Hi, Sai.
    When you open a program on your computer the data needed to run the program gets copied to your RAM and then runs from there.

    If you use a program that needs more ram than what you have available your operating system will allocate a portion of your HD to use as RAM, this is normal.

    I hope this makes sense, my grammar is pretty bad sometimes
  8. TommyV said:
    Hi, Sai.
    When you open a program on your computer the data needed to run the program gets copied to your RAM and then runs from there.

    If you use a program that needs more ram than what you have available your operating system will allocate a portion of your HD to use as RAM, this is normal.

    I hope this makes sense, my grammar is pretty bad sometimes



    SEE I WAS RIGHT :bounce: :lol:
  9. maziar321 said:
    Lol, I was joking, but real answer, There completly unrelatd. First off, the ram in your computer doesn't process data, your processor does. Second, the processor only uses data thats being used actively, so your fine with extra data. You can have as big of a hard drive as you would like.

    ps: you actully could in theory turn your hard drive storage into ram ( it wont be easy). You have to partition your hard drive, then trick your computer into thinking the partition is flash memory. From there you could you windows ready boost. (don't ask me how.) :non:


    Sorry about the sarcasm from before.


    hehe, np man, I use a flashdrive as 'ram' myself, Win7 and vista both have readyboost
    Moto
  10. maziar321 said:
    SEE I WAS RIGHT :bounce: :lol:


    i was referring to your statement on getting your computer to think your hdd partition was flash memory.

    you can use your hdd as ram overflow, but it is extremely slow
  11. ^Yeah, I'm none too sure on fooling my pc into anything hehhe :P
    Moto
  12. Hard-disks are really slow compared to RAM. There's no substitute for real RAM. When the latter fills up, your OS will page to disk (virtual ram) and this is a horribly slow process. Some suggest to use a spare usb flashdrive as RAM expansion. Yeah why not, until your finger or a shock knocks it off... :D

    Given that software is loaded from disk into the RAM, what you can do is buy a high RPM drive or an SSD drive. A fast hard-drive (with lots of cache) will definitely improve this leg of the process.
  13. Lol, I love how we completely high jacked the OP's thread....
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM HD