5870 running at 87 degrees

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Hi

Okay so iv got a new rig, with a 5870. I leave the fan speed on automatic control in the catalyst control centre, and after about 2 hours of gaming it hits 87 degrees. I have a CM Storm sniper case with 3 200mm fans, and another 2 120mm fans. All my other components stay very very cool.

I am aware that i can manually control the fan speed on the 5870, but i was wondering if there isnt a way to still use automatic fan control, but somehow set an 'upper temperature limit' so that the fan adjusts its speed to never allow the temp to go above this value, and then set it at like 75 or 80 degrees.

The automatic fan control is convenient and keeps things quiet when you not gaming, but it seems to me that it sometimes lets the card get a bit too hot for my liking.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Actually 87 is quite the norm in alot of cases i have seen/heard of for the 5870. Unfortunately there is no temp setting that will aid in automatically adjusting the fan speed %-age. Best bet is to find a happy-medium and let it rip at that fan speed. At least, none that i ahve heard of, anyone else?

If u aren't happy with that temp then u can adjust it manually, let say 50% and see what is the card's temps...
your card can stand even at 100'C, but i don't like 87'C, it's a little bit hot. :)

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Well, you can do what I did. My small case has heat issues, so my 4850 overheats really quickly and I can hear the fan screaming. In order to prevent that I set profiles for my catalyst: I have a 30% profile for idling, a 40% profile for 2d games (I don't really use it, though) and a 70% profile for heavy 3d gaming.

Here comes the interesting part: I set keyboard shortcuts, which work no matter what program is working (as long as you make sure that this program doesn't use the same shortcut for something else). So I have ALT+3 for 30%, ALT+4 for 40% and (you guessed it) ALT+7 for 70%.

Changing fan speed is as easy as pressing two buttons. Look it up online on how to set profiles and how to manipulate the corresponding files and you're set.

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

This sounds like the best solution, thanks!

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

Ya i dont like it that hot either

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

I doubt its the psu. Iv got a brand new gigabyte odin 720watt. I dont think its an overheating problem, its just that the automatic fan control seems a little bit too lazy and doesnt keep things as cool as i would like.

Hell Storm is right,beside overheating, faulty PSU also can frying everything inside your case... :)

87C after 2 hours of gaming is pretty normal. I mean some games work a gpu more than others. MW2 after 2 hours on mine only hits maybe 76-78C. However, in Dirty2 I hit upper 80C on my 5870. Don't worry about it dude it's fine and perfectly acceptable temps.

The reference coolers on the 5800 cards are really good and run pretty quiet compared to the past designs.

Kari

Splendid

The frying part I can understand, if the psu gives out like 100V AC instead of the rated 12V DC. But general overheating? no... since every major subsystem has their own power regulator circuitry which feed the power hungry chips, and those regulators are specced to take in certain voltage range and output something completely different (like 10-14V input, 0.5-1.5V output or something similar...). If the voltage drops too low say 5V it's likely the regulators won't output anything at all

abdul89

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I've just created 2 profiles, one with auto fan control, and one for gaming. The gaming profile has the fan set at 40%. So i just enable this profile when i wana game, and after hours of play the highest the temp the gpu ever reaches is 75 degrees. Now thats acceptable to me :)