New Build ($1700-$2000) Any Advice

danielrbox

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'll Be building this over the next few months, I know there are disadvantages to doing this but I'd rather be patient and find great deals.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming/HTPC hybrid

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I only slightly prefer AND over Intel, I don't want any flashy cases, I only want lights if I can turn them off. As long as its stylish and gets the job done I'm fine with it.

OVERCLOCKING: No.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080 HDMI 1080p

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to use an ssd for my OS, but have several large HDD for data. A Blu-Ray Reader would be great, with a DVD/CD drive as well. I'm thinking about Win7 professional 64bit so I can have excessive ram. A Modular PSU is a must. This will be my second build so I'm not to knowledgeable about water cooling and would rather avoid it if possible. A good sound card recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Do you actually need the monitor? Just asking because you don't list it in the parts required, but you list a resolution...

Here's what I've got for you:

Case: Antec P193 $160. Actually kind of hard to find a good, big case without LEDs for cheap. It's bottom mounted, so you don't actually HAVE to have a modular PSU. All the excess cables will be at the bottom of the case and already out of the way.

CPU: i5-750 $200

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $180. Don't know how many you need, but that should get you started. You can always buy more later.

SSD: I'm not good at picking these, as I don't typically recommend them, even for builds with your budget. A 128 GB one will cost $400.

Opticals: BluRay readers cost around $100. For the DVD burner, get the cheapest SATA one you can find. I think it's currently a Lite-On for $27.

PSU: Corsair 850W $130 after rebate. It's not modular because of the reason mentioned with the case.

GPU: HD 5850 $300. Crossfire later. It's a waste of money to do it in a new build.

Total: $1,900 without keyboard/mouse and whatever else.

I left out a sound card because they're unnecessary. The mobos today provide good sound, even using a surround sound system. I'd highly recommend ditching the SSD and spending a little more on the GPU and possibly upping the CPU to the i7-920. As a gaming machine, this is not that powerful for what you're spending because of the SSD.