Your question

New Build ($1700-$2000) Any Advice

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 2:01:57 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'll Be building this over the next few months, I know there are disadvantages to doing this but I'd rather be patient and find great deals.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming/HTPC hybrid

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I only slightly prefer AND over Intel, I don't want any flashy cases, I only want lights if I can turn them off. As long as its stylish and gets the job done I'm fine with it.

OVERCLOCKING: No.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080 HDMI 1080p

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to use an ssd for my OS, but have several large HDD for data. A Blu-Ray Reader would be great, with a DVD/CD drive as well. I'm thinking about Win7 professional 64bit so I can have excessive ram. A Modular PSU is a must. This will be my second build so I'm not to knowledgeable about water cooling and would rather avoid it if possible. A good sound card recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

More about : build 1700 2000 advice

January 21, 2010 3:29:35 AM

Have you seen the mid-range build of the last System Builder's Marathon? I think it would suit your needs nicely, within a budget much lower than your max of $2000.
m
l
January 21, 2010 11:21:03 AM

Do you actually need the monitor? Just asking because you don't list it in the parts required, but you list a resolution...

Here's what I've got for you:

Case: Antec P193 $160. Actually kind of hard to find a good, big case without LEDs for cheap. It's bottom mounted, so you don't actually HAVE to have a modular PSU. All the excess cables will be at the bottom of the case and already out of the way.

CPU: i5-750 $200

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $180. Don't know how many you need, but that should get you started. You can always buy more later.

SSD: I'm not good at picking these, as I don't typically recommend them, even for builds with your budget. A 128 GB one will cost $400.

Opticals: BluRay readers cost around $100. For the DVD burner, get the cheapest SATA one you can find. I think it's currently a Lite-On for $27.

PSU: Corsair 850W $130 after rebate. It's not modular because of the reason mentioned with the case.

GPU: HD 5850 $300. Crossfire later. It's a waste of money to do it in a new build.

Total: $1,900 without keyboard/mouse and whatever else.

I left out a sound card because they're unnecessary. The mobos today provide good sound, even using a surround sound system. I'd highly recommend ditching the SSD and spending a little more on the GPU and possibly upping the CPU to the i7-920. As a gaming machine, this is not that powerful for what you're spending because of the SSD.
m
l