Sign in with
Your question

Black screen on first boot

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 2:02:57 AM

I haven't built a machine in a while so I decided it was time for an upgrade. I just do graphics so I don't need a drooling beast of a rig. I got an Asus P5GD2-X socket 775 mobo cheap, put in Pentium 4 3.4GHz 800HHz CPU with oem HSF, 2 x 1G Kingston DDR2 memory, WD 640 GB SATA HD and a MSI 9400GT PCIe 16 video card, all new. I am using my trusty Enermax 420W ATX 12V PSU and an IDE optical drive and floppy. Everything seemed to go together OK but when I went to boot for the first time . . . nothing. No post, or at least I didn't see one. I connected it to an old Sony Trinitron 21" CRT monitor which I know works fine.
The video card I am using doesn't take power from the PSU as far as I can tell and there is no onboard video on the mobo. I tried removing one stick of RAM with no change. When I yanked out all the RAM I got a 1 long, 2 short beep code. I also disconnected the optical and hard drives and chassis fans. The mobo green indicator light comes on and all the fans are going upon power-up but just black as far as the eye can see. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

More about : black screen boot

January 21, 2010 2:36:36 AM

You will need to reset your CMOS.
!