Sign in with
Your question

Router Problem

Last response: in Networking
December 30, 2009 8:07:28 PM

Here is my problem. I have 3 computers and a printer connected to a Linksys Router (BEFW 11s4 V 2.0). Yes it is an old router. Up untill yesterday the router has worked great with only the occasional problem that I have been able to figure out. It is a wireless router but I have disabled all wireless functions and use it solely as a wired router(as the wireless tech is really old and on par with modem speeds).

Yesterday I was setting up a vent server on one of my office machines to use while I gamed on my gaming machine. In the process I went into the router setup through my gaming machine to do a port forward so the vent information would know where to go from the outside. I messed up a few settings while I was working my way through the setup process. I fixed them later and that part works fine. My two office computers and printer still work absolutely fine and are running windows xp. Oh and my router connects to a cable modem for its internet.

My gaming computer on the other hand is now having major problems communicating through the router to the internet and outside the LaN. It seems to respond o.k. internally except to communicate with the router itself..I get constant time outs and packet dropping. When I connect my computer directly to the cable modem I have 0 problems connecting to the internet etc. The problem lies solely in the communication of my gaming computer to the router. I have windows vista 32bit home edition. and I am using an oboard network chip (realtek RTL 8168/8111).

I have reset my router a couple of times to factory default and have tried every setting I could think of on the router side of things. Nothing seems to fix the issue. Both of the xp computers have no problems with anything networked related.

I know I am missing something that has to be going on on my gaming computer side but I cant figure it out. I tried uninstalling my network chip drivers but that didnt seem to do anything. I looked at my network and it seemed to be sending packets and receiving packets...although at a slow pace with frequent stoppages.

Help Please :pt1cable: 

More about : router problem

Anonymous
December 30, 2009 9:15:50 PM

Post the output from "ipconfig/all" here.
m
l
December 30, 2009 11:53:37 PM

The problem lies within your router. you said when you connect the computer straight to the modem you have no problems, so that would eliminate your gaming computer as the source. if the computer was still dropping packets and bogging up then id say lets take a look at your network configuration but thats not the case here. but you did mention you installed a vent server. a server that communicates with the WAN can fill up your routing tables quick. so although your old router may have sufficed for your needs before you put a server in your network, the router may not be able to handle it now. Take off your server and power cycle your router. if that helps then the problem is your router. if it does not help then lemme know so i can explore other possibilities
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2009 5:24:57 AM

It does all this with only my gaming computer booted up(as well as with everything running) and running and it only started doing this after I did the initial port forwarding configuration from my gaming computer. One of the first things I tested was shutting everything off...reseting router and powering down cable modem and router then turning on just my gaming machine. The problem persisted untill I hooked my gaming machine direct to cable modem.

What I can not figure out is the fact I reset my router to factory defaults...which is what I had before this problem started and the problem still persists. I know hands down it has to be some form of communication problem with my router.

Also I have run a vent server on my network in the past several years ago and it was just fine. I estimate I only use about 20 to 30% of my network capacity at any given moement in time. I do not yet have anyone connected to the vent server either as I have to disconnect my router to use my gaming machine with the internet.

To Grumpy: I am unable to post the ipconfig at this moment but shall do so as soon as I can.

m
l
December 31, 2009 5:49:06 AM

hmmm i had a problem with my router recently and everything was set correctly and when i look at your problem it seems you have done everything right. and with my problem the solution was upgrade the router firmware. if you have reset the router back to default and the computer has the same issue, but yet it has no issue when plugged in directly to the modem then maybe a glitch in your routers firmware has risen. because if you reverted back to the routers default, then its default programming must have a glitch.lets try updating your firmware
m
l
December 31, 2009 6:48:36 PM

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mark>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mark-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit
Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7D-AD-51-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::D da4:aa00:a3f1:D 13d%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:34:13 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 01, 2010 2:34:13 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251665789
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-11-70-B3-64-00-1D-7D-AD-51-AA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.102
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.hsd1.tx.comcast.net.
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

C:\Users\Mark>

here is my ipconfig /all with my computer connected to my linksys router and both other machines running.
I am able to surf the web etc with this computer, however, it is fairly slow as I get lots of Hangs from I believe packet loss. The other two machines on the network do not suffer these issues. And this issue only started two-three days ago with the only change coming from when I first attempted to set up the vent server and accessed my router from this machine. After these issues cropped up I eventually got my vent server finished getting properly setup on the other machine and again those other machines have not had any other problems.
m
l
Anonymous
December 31, 2009 9:04:50 PM

Try changing the DNS server to the Google public ones. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 You could also open a command prompt and type "netstat -e" to look for errors.
m
l
!