Sign in with
Your question

5850 video card issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2010 10:13:38 PM

I need to know why one of the three monitors I have connected to my 5850 card isn't coming on. each monitor I connnected into both DVI ports didn't work. Am I doing something wrong or are both DVI ports dead. And yes, I have the Displayport to DVI dual adapter connected.

More about : 5850 video card issue

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2010 10:18:52 PM

Try them all seperately. Also what adapter are you using, the Sapphire one?
m
l
January 14, 2010 10:23:58 PM

I'm using the 1.3 gauge cable on the displayport adapter and also on one of the monitors and the final monitor, i'm using a pair of monster cable I got from Best Buy a while back
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2010 10:26:49 PM

You need an *active* displayport to dvi adaptor.

These things aren't common, and they aint cheap either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ignore that review, it does work. I have one and it works perfectly.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2010 10:37:47 PM

Ok that should work fine as it's basically the same as the Sapphire (the sapphire is just a rebranded version).

Try this :-

Remove all the cables from the card. Insert the adaptor into your usb port + displayport on your 5850. Connect that to your main screen and see if it works fine.

Then add one more monitor to one of your dvi ports and see if that works.
m
l
January 14, 2010 10:52:35 PM

That didn't work either. Does it matter if i'm using a dvi to hdmi adapter connected to the dvi port and does it matter which dvi port the dvi to hdmi.

This is the adapter that i'm using in the dvi port, not the displayport adapter we already establish that so this is the other adapter i'm using to connect the third monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2010 11:51:31 PM

dvi - hmdi shouldnt matter at all, thats a simple through connection.

I assume your dvi connectors are working fine with 1 screen? and the dvi-hdmi, and displayport all work fine when in solo mode?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 14, 2010 11:55:12 PM

If you just use the displayport - dvi adaptor in your card, does it work (1 screen obviously).

My main LCD is now run off the displayport - dvi adaptor and it works fine. That is, I have my sapphire active adaptor plugged into the pc via usb, and plugged into the gpu via displayport, and the dvi output is connected to my main screen.

If you can't get a display off that then there must be an issue somewhere.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:45:13 AM

IMHO, I think both DVI ports are bad. I swapped adapters (hdmi-to-dvi, dvi-to-D-sub) nothing because I noticed that between those two connectors that I mentioned just now, the male connector teeth are different and I those it might have made a difference, but it didn't, plus someone on Newegg purchased the same card and had the same issue as well.
m
l
!