Sign in with
Your question

Mouse and keyboard stop working during installation of xp

Last response: in Windows XP
August 22, 2012 6:59:03 PM

Hello,
I know this is a really old thread, but I'm currently having a problem. Doing a repair install of XP everything is going fine until Windows starts whining about some unsigned driver for my video card (Sapphire Radeon x1650 Pro). No mouse, no keyboard. Both USB. Both were working fine just 2 seconds prior to that window coming up wanting me to click Yes/No to continue.

The system isn't frozen because the green indicators are still moving. My mouse has LEDs on it (for da bling!) ad they are still lit. Keyboard, however, has NOTHING. No CAPS light or anything. Even if I reconnect the USB
August 22, 2012 8:03:03 PM

I would never perform a repair install because it is too easy for problems such as you are experiencing. Unless your XP CD is the exact same Service Pack level it almost always fails.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:37:08 PM

That's a terrible answer. Instead of stating the obvious, why don't you try to help with a solution.
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 7:34:42 PM

cristy5 said:
That's a terrible answer. Instead of stating the obvious, why don't you try to help with a solution.

So what is the answer - have Inspiron with USB only that both keyboard and wirelesss mouse have stopped working (as in no led) but screen has activity and is asking for input. With 34 minutes of XP reinstall remaining, what do I do.

Johnyik
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:38:41 PM

Bet you have both plugged into USB3 ports. Plug them into USB2 ports and they'll work just fine.
m
l
!