CPU won't go higher than 3.3ghz after disabling power-saving features

00chapmano

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hi there

I recently updated the BIOS on my MSI P67A-GD53 to the newest version (v4.2) I have an i5 2500k and was happily sat on 4.5ghz before doing the update just a few days ago.

But now, when I try to set the overclock, CPU-Z and RealTemp read 33x multiplier even under full load (despite the BIOS saying 4.5ghz). I have all the E1ST, turbo boost, power-management stuff turned off of course. It won't go above 3.3ghz! It's also worth noting that dxdiag DOES show 4.5ghz which is weird!

However, if I enable the power management options, I'll see the 45x multiplier I expected in CPU-Z but it makes the computer crash within seconds while running Prime95. I've actually tried upping the voltage to 1.36v as well and that still makes no difference to the instability.

Basically, turning off the power management is capping my overclock. I've tried every possible combination on the mobo, but it seems to be specifically down the power management. I have tried using just Turbo Boost to overclock but it doesn't hold stable at 4.4 / 4.5ghz. This also seems a bit odd!

Can somebody shed some light on this for me? I actually have no idea what to do at this point. All I can do is use OC Genie for a 4.2 overclock but that seems a shame when I've got the right cooling for pushing a lot further.

Thanks very much in advance.

00chapmano

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
It turns out that I'd mistakenly downloaded the wrong BIOS update that was designed for the new IB processors. I managed to re-flash using the MSIHQ Tool back to an earlier version and now everything works perfectly.

:)