Artic silver 5 a joke?

shawnlove

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
ok i just added artic silver 5 to my cpu and im pissed, i get an increase of 3degres c and it jumps to max temp almost imediatly....

i have the corsare H50 and with stock paste i had max temps of 69c but it took like 5 min of burn in test max heat test and now just after 5 seconds im at 69c and after 20 min i have a max temp of 71c i kno this isnt very high but still alot hoter for "better" paste stupid tube wasted 10$ i still have plenty left but it just dont seem worth it/.....

Solution
Did you read the instructions on the AS5 site:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html

Also the part about curing time:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in"...
Did you read the instructions on the AS5 site:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html

Also the part about curing time:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

So by my estimation of this statement it would take almost a year of normal use to properly cure the AC5 compound, or almost nine days of continuous power cycles to meet their recommendation.

Solution

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Supposedly, there is a 200 hour "burn in" time for AS5, so after that amount of time you'll see your best temps. I myself used AS5 on my older build from last fall after taking off the stuff I had used previously, and I was fine with the overall temps, but not "wowed" compared to the stuff I had on previously. In truth, actually, the temps were almost identical. I should also note that after the 200 hours my average temps, when ambient temperatures were the same, were exactly the same, there was no improvement. So, do I think AS5 is decent? Yes. Better than anything else out there? No, not really.

shawnlove

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

ok so whats a power cycle? the burn in test?

Starting from room temp to max temp and back down again. I used IC Diamond 7 karat compound and OC'd the CPU so as to produce a temp of 78 degrees (a temp I would never allow it to see again) for an hour and then back to room temps again..... resulted in 2-3 degree drop after doing that 3 days in a row. With As5, expect it would take longer as IC's cure time is 2 hours.

Geiser45

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
You can usually tell the products not going to match up to your expectations if the company perpetuates fake reviews to qualify it's product and certain Thermal Paste manufacturers have been known to do this on Amazon and other known internet sales arenas.

As5 has been around for quite some time and doesn't need fake reviews. Arctic is one of the better known brands of thermal compound available. Like others said it's not magic either. There is a 200hr burn in time and it also needs to be considered that ambient room temps play a role as does margin of error when repeatedly mounting a cooler. There could be a few degrees difference between one mounting and another and a much higher difference usually points to improper mounting of some sort.

Most thermal compounds only differ by around 1-3c at most, for better or worse. Having that knowledge a 10-20c temp change is likely something else and may be user error rather than difference in thermal compounds. There's no real magic thermal paste that's going to drop temps 10c either.

The most drastic temp variations/improvement tend to come from coolabs liquid pro but that's an entirely different topic and has its own issues. Potential for electrical conductivity, corrosion potential depending on cooler mounting plate material, has to installed a particular way and generally not recommended for most people unless they know what they're getting into.