Solved

AMD FX 8150 - 57 C while gaming... would you improve the cooling?

Hey everyone, I didn't overclock or anything, default settings in BIOS..

my comp has been freezing or getting the Blue Screen of Death once in a while when playing Guild Wars 2 (i dont play any other games and my comp froze only once with no games up)... so i started monitoring the temperature using AI Suite II, and so far the highest it's been is 57 degrees celcius... (i don't know the temperature of my room)

i'm pretty disappointed in the temperature as i bought a huge ZALMAN heatsink and fan and am using Artic Silver 3 (though it's years old) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

Can overheating cause the Blue Screen of Death? the error is "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"

The highest temperature the 8150 can reach safely is 60-61 degrees Celcius

since it's not technically there.. would you guys get a new heatsink / fan? if so... what would you recommend that's not ridiculously expensive? thanks for any help

EDIT:

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+
EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX
ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+
600W Antec True Power
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8150 gaming improve cooling
  1. if cool N' quiet is enabled, try disabling it

if you still get that error try updating your bios

and i though FX was good up to 71C or somthing like that
  2. nna2 said:
    if cool N' quiet is enabled, try disabling it

if you still get that error try updating your bios

and i though FX was good up to 71C or somthing like that

i actually did disable that just last nite while messing with it.... playing guild wars 2 right now and it's at 57C

and i got the 60C from this article: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1741/18/

next time i get the Blue Screen i'll definitely try updating my BIOS

so do you guys think i should be upgrading my HS and Fan?
  3. not unless your overclocking, and i was wrong, they reccomend 61C, but they are more thermally tolerant the Phenom II was so you should be okay
  4. Best answer
    I think there was a bug in the initial firmware shipping for AM3+ boards supporting the FX CPUs that caused that particular bugcheck code. Try updating your BIOS. 57 C really isn't high enough to cause problems.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2236203
  5. aicom said:
    I think there was a bug in the initial firmware shipping for AM3+ boards supporting the FX CPUs that caused that particular bugcheck code. Try updating your BIOS. 57 C really isn't high enough to cause problems.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2236203

oh man i hope so, definitely gonna update then. keep u posted
  6. updated the BIOS and no bug so far.. but it happens randomly so i'll keep you posted

BUT

my CPU temp went as high as 68C degrees today wth, when i turned on my ASUS Suite II, it was red in color warning me that's dangerous...

now that i turned off guild wars, it's at 46C degrees idling...

can someone recommend me a cheap but reliable cooling for this processor? this is not cool at all......
  7. CM hyper 212 EVO, $35... works fine for my PHII
  8. daletron said:
    updated the BIOS and no bug so far.. but it happens randomly so i'll keep you posted

BUT

my CPU temp went as high as 68C degrees today wth, when i turned on my ASUS Suite II, it was red in color warning me that's dangerous...

now that i turned off guild wars, it's at 46C degrees idling...

can someone recommend me a cheap but reliable cooling for this processor? this is not cool at all......

That's too high. Before spending the money on another cooler I would try reseating the heatsink. It's not sitting on there right or not enough thermal paste or there are gaps in the paste.
  9. maui67 said:
    That's too high. Before spending the money on another cooler I would try reseating the heatsink. It's not sitting on there right or not enough thermal paste or there are gaps in the paste.

this is the only time it's done this... prior to this occasion, i've seen it at 58C at highest. but i will try this, ty for the suggestion
  10. Your BSOD issue is probably fixed by the firmware update, but you should address the heat issue as well. Too little or too much thermal paste can cause this issue. You just want a very thin layer across the CPU.
  11. What is your casefan setup like out of interest?
    Moto
  12. You might have a bad stick of RAM thats causing the blue screen, highly doubt its your cpu temps. Also too if your gaming on ultra setting at max resolution you could be overloading the power supply with too much amperage. When your gaming the GPU and cpu suck up alot of amperage even if they aren't OC'd, I'd look to see what the amp's on the 12v rail on your power supply is rated at. BTW I am suffering a similar but not exactly the same issue but I've narrowed it down already my setup is

FX-8150 cpu w/factory air heatsink
    Gigabyte ATX 990fx Mobo
    Gigabyte 7870 HD Raedon
    16gb corsair vengence ram
    1tb HDD 7200rpm
    NZXT Phantom 410 case with 4 cooling push/pull fan setup(currently)
    POS Kentek 950w PSU(Soon to be replaced by an OCZ Fatality 1000w)

When I game on BF3 for 15-20 minutes my PSU can't handle all the load it gets put under at the ultra settings and max resolution and will either freeze up or pop the breaker on the PSU but, on the lesser graphics games I really don't have the issues.
  13. aicom said:
    Your BSOD issue is probably fixed by the firmware update, but you should address the heat issue as well. Too little or too much thermal paste can cause this issue. You just want a very thin layer across the CPU.

you the man, the BSOD issue hasn't came up again ever since i updated my BIOS.

as for my CPU temperatures.. ya it's still getting pretty hot when i play guild wars on max settings....if i limit it to 30 fps.. i can get it to stay below 60C, but what's the point in that?

waiting for my new hard drive to come in and i'll try readjusting the heatsink and post back if it helps or not..

thanks for the advice
  14. Motopsychojdn said:
    What is your casefan setup like out of interest?
    Moto

2 fans in front 1 in back and 1 up top. right now i'm keeping the case open just because im not liking my temperatures..
  15. Are you on auto voltage?, I'd have a fiddle in your bios/eufi and get it running on as low a voltage as you can, that will directly afect your working temps and I know my mobo likes to overvolt on auto, 1.47v for a 3.6GHz, I manually set it to 1.3125v and dropped about 10'c on idle straight off,
    have a look and see what your bios/eufi is reporting your Cpu V as
    Moto
  16. Motopsychojdn said:
    Are you on auto voltage?, I'd have a fiddle in your bios/eufi and get it running on as low a voltage as you can, that will directly afect your working temps and I know my mobo likes to overvolt on auto, 1.47v for a 3.6GHz, I manually set it to 1.3125v and dropped about 10'c on idle straight off,
    have a look and see what your bios/eufi is reporting your Cpu V as
    Moto

hey thanks for the reply. yes i'm on everything auto right now as i never overclock so i just never really mess with the BIOS too much.. so this is good info for me..

may i ask what am i supposed to look for to know what's the lowest voltage i can go? i tried finding the default voltage for the amd fx 8150 with not much luck.. if i can find it.. should i just put it to the default value? if the voltage is too low, will my system be unstable?
  17. Check out the Black edition overclocking guide up the top of the setion, but don't be scared of your bios man, its the door to fun :)
    I run at stock clocks most days, but to lower my temps even more I set cpu voltage manually,
    Auto has me at about 1.47v, but I found that my chip will run on 1.3125v quite happily and that drops about 10'c off the idle
    If its too low the system will crash yes, but its no disaster, just go back into bios and up it another notch,
    start testing at around 1.3v but do not go above 1.55v
    don't mess with anything else, just the Cpu v setting, save it once you are done either in a profile or by pressing F10 and you are good,
    use your normal temp monitoring program to see how it affects your temps
    Moto
  18. Motopsychojdn said:
    Check out the Black edition overclocking guide up the top of the setion, but don't be scared of your bios man, its the door to fun :)
    I run at stock clocks most days, but to lower my temps even more I set cpu voltage manually,
    Auto has me at about 1.47v, but I found that my chip will run on 1.3125v quite happily and that drops about 10'c off the idle
    If its too low the system will crash yes, but its no disaster, just go back into bios and up it another notch,
    start testing at around 1.3v but do not go above 1.55v
    don't mess with anything else, just the Cpu v setting, save it once you are done either in a profile or by pressing F10 and you are good,
    use your normal temp monitoring program to see how it affects your temps
    Moto

awesome thanks for the guide tip, gonna check that out. i have AI Suite II open right now and my VCore while i'm in guild wars 2 says 1.356V... just wanted to ask if that's the same as the CPU voltage?
  19. I've never used Ai Suite but I reckon it will be the one, make the change in bios though, software adjustments are not as reliable
    Moto
  20. Best answer selected by daletron.
  21. Just put a H100 or H80 in it bro, all your problems will frost away...

daletron said:
    Hey everyone, I didn't overclock or anything, default settings in BIOS..

my comp has been freezing or getting the Blue Screen of Death once in a while when playing Guild Wars 2 (i dont play any other games and my comp froze only once with no games up)... so i started monitoring the temperature using AI Suite II, and so far the highest it's been is 57 degrees celcius... (i don't know the temperature of my room)

i'm pretty disappointed in the temperature as i bought a huge ZALMAN heatsink and fan and am using Artic Silver 3 (though it's years old) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

Can overheating cause the Blue Screen of Death? the error is "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"

The highest temperature the 8150 can reach safely is 60-61 degrees Celcius

since it's not technically there.. would you guys get a new heatsink / fan? if so... what would you recommend that's not ridiculously expensive? thanks for any help

EDIT:

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+
    EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX
    ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+
    600W Antec True Power
  22. Just whack a H80 or H100 in it bro, solved my problem admirably.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Temperature Overclocking Product