krewx078

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I'd like to start off by saying that i'm new to these forums and i'm looking to get some help. I've decided to uprgrade my computer to an i7. As for my mobo i've chosen the GA-X58A-UD3R. My first question is if this mobo is decent and reliable. Secondly, since i am new to builing a pc, i have absolutely no idea what kind of ram i need in order to get it running.

I'll be going for the i7 930 and although i am aware of the 950's dropping in price in late August, i really need this build asap. I have absolutely no knowledge in overclocking yet would like to at least get a small overclock to about 3.4-3.5 which brings me to a cooler which i'll most likely need. Any reliable suggestions would be appreciated.

If it's not too much to ask, It'd be very helpful if i could find it on amazon. I am aware of newegg but because they don't ship to p.o. box im kinda outta luck. Would anybody be kind enough to help this newbie I really need it thanks

First of all, welcome. Secondly, since you've already chosen your mobo, then all you'd need to do now is to look at what it supports. For example, your chosen mobo supports DDR3 1600 (which is an overclock spec).

To determine how much RAM you'll need depends on:

1. What you plan to do with your computer (I.E. gaming, photo/video editing, etc.)
2. What OS architecture you want 32 vs 64

Since you've narrowed down the type of CPU you'd like, your building is even easier . Your RAM should be designed to work with the i7 chip (meaning that you don't want it to operate at a higher voltage than 1.65v)

If you're planning on doing some overclocking, I'd start with reading up on it first, but if you want to know a good place to start looking for cpu cooloers, check FrozenCpu.com