Sign in with
Your question

QUAD CORE CPU

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2010 10:01:05 PM

i have no idea how to word this, but can someone please explain to me in simplier terms what a "quad core cpu" does, i bought one thinking it would be quicker than my dual core 3.0 ghz intel, but it runs the same,
is their any thing i can do to make it run good, whenever i use more than maby two tasks, it slows down, and with a quad core, i should have no problem running four tasks at once....its an intel q9550, @2.83 ghz,, not overclocked.
also u would think an nvidia gtx 260 is better than an 8800 gt right???

More about : quad core cpu

a c 133 à CPUs
March 26, 2010 10:31:54 PM

Well Nvidia played it a little dirty the 8800 gt, 9800 gt, and the GTX 250 are all basically the same card just renamed the 260 is slightly faster but not much the GTX 260 is the same as the 9800 gtx.

Now onto your Quad

First what did you have before you went to the Q9550? And what motherboard do you have?

The Q9550 is a great processor and can multitask quite well. Now slow downs could be a number of things.

1 How Much Ram do you have? Not enough memory could cause slow downs when it has to use the pagefile too much on your hard drive.

2 Your computer can only go as fast as your hard drive is. So you could have the fastest processor in the world and still have a slow computer if you dont have enough ram or a slow old hard drive.

3 Is your processor fully supported by your motherboard have you checked if it shows up like it should in CPU-Z?

m
l
March 26, 2010 11:40:08 PM

first of ll i dont get it, why are they just renaming cards, i could have saved a lot of money by getting the 9800gtx!!!
heres my setup,

intel core 2 quad 9550 socket 775
nvidia gtx 260
asus p5nd mobo with nvidia 750 i sli chipset socket 775
4 gbs ocz ram
hitachi 500gb 7200 rpm hdd
corsair 650watt psu

my old setup had a
intel core 2 duo at 3.0 ghz ??e8400?? i think
2 gbs ram
9600gt
gigabyte mobo
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 11:53:08 PM

It's business. Company's will do anything and everything to save while making profit. Questioning it really won't help, the only way to get the bang for your buck is by doing research, the internet is our information highway, it allows you to access unlimited amounts of information with regard to anything you may have in mind.

Now, as for your previous/current setup - given a computer that was functioning all and well, you should have been able to run a ton of tasks with no problem. These multiple core processors are specifically designed to delegate information between cores to ensure each one isn't taking on too much. Think of it as studying with another person, it's brainstorming, formulating different ideas on how to complete the task at hand. But if you study alone, you'll be cramming information in all at once unless you do it slowly, one-at-a-time.

Although, on a technical level, if your computer isn't performing to your standards and cannot handle more than a couple tasks at a time, you may want to consider that it may be a hardware issue, possibly needs to be cleaned, reseated, or even returned for a new component.

However, seeing as how you currently have a good setup, you may want to download software to test components of your computer parts. Some software I'd recommend would be: ATITool (for graphics), memtest (for memory), hw-monitor (to monitor power output to each component to the computer), and prime95 (I'd rather not touch this, but it's up to you.) Hope this information has provided you with some light on your situation. Good luck to you.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 27, 2010 12:51:54 AM

ryan112 said:
first of ll i dont get it, why are they just renaming cards, i could have saved a lot of money by getting the 9800gtx!!!
heres my setup,

intel core 2 quad 9550 socket 775
nvidia gtx 260
asus p5nd mobo with nvidia 750 i sli chipset socket 775
4 gbs ocz ram
hitachi 500gb 7200 rpm hdd
corsair 650watt psu

my old setup had a
intel core 2 duo at 3.0 ghz ??e8400?? i think
2 gbs ram
9600gt
gigabyte mobo

Can you tell us which programs exactly are you having problems with. Explain exactly what you are doing when you encounter slowdowns.
m
l
!