Hard Drive makes loud scratching noise and not detected

Spacekiwi

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I have a western digital external hard drive (http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=260) and it stopped working. I googled around and found out that something may be wrong with the case or the power to the case. As this harddrive only sits on my desk I decided to remove it and plug it into my computer to see if it would work.
I am still not having any luck however when I boot I can hear a loud scratching noise from the harddrive. It does not show up in windows device manager or disk management.

Any suggestions on how to fix it or why its making the scratching noise will be greatly appreciated.

Spacekiwi

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Where should I go on the BIOS screen? I have a GIGABYTE P55M-UD2 motherboard and when I boot my options are:
Tab = Post screen
del = BIOS setup/Q flash
F9 = Xpress recovery 2
F12 = Boot menu
end = Qflash

Sorry I dont really know too much about this stuff and dont want to screw something up looking for my hard drive

Spacekiwi

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Ok I looked in my BIOS and found all my other hard drive and my DVD drive but the broken one was not visible :(

However when windows started up that found new hardware wizard came up, started installing something and the froze (I did not connect any new hardware). This has lead me to believe that there is still some life left in this harddrive and if I could get it going even for a little while to recover some files that would be great