Improve My Display

BrainMan85020

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I recently purchased a Dell 2709w HD monitor. I assumed that I would have an awesome picture right out of the box. WRONG. I mean it's okay, but not what I was expecting. I'm NOT a gammer. I'm a programmer, so I'm not into frame rates, but I DO want the best image I can get. I have a 2 year old nVidia 512MB card. It's connected to my Dell moniitor with using the DVI connector. We have a low end Mac at the office. That thing just blows my display away. That's what I was hoping for. Is my video card the problem?

BrainMan85020

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
It's just rather grainy. I get quite a bit of "tiling" (I think that's what it's called) with video. Some weird things seem to happen with the border around windows when I minimize/maximize/move them. The iMac at work looks every bit as good as a nice crt. I guess that's what I'm looking for. I hate grainy images. They seem to give me a headache.

Thanks

A 8600Gt will run that display perfectly fine.

Is the card newly installed? maybe update the drivers? Do you have a spare DVI cable to try? That seems odd. 1920 x1200 on a large display will have larger pixels, so the edges may seem a little jagged, but that's about it. Very strange. Which DVI port is it plugged in, I believe on the Port 1 has HDCP support. Either way you could try the other port.

BrainMan85020

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hmm, interesting. I did not realize that there was any difference between the two DVI out ports. I have one plugged into the Dell 2709, and one plugged into a 21" CRT. The 21" CRT sure is a cleaner image. I guess I failed to mention that. I have a dual monitor setup.

I'll see if there are any new drivers available.

Thanks!