Sign in with
Your question

Old PCI GPU in a New Mobo

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2010 6:33:13 AM

I just bought this new Gigabyte mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for a new system and because it doesn't have onboard graphics, I thought I'd just use an old 16MB PCI GPU (JTNMC Video-88PCI-16, 82088PCI) in its PCI slot. Without the GPU, it seems to boot up just fine. Of course, I can't see any display but I hear the hard drive spin, see all the fans start up, and see the ethernet light up if there is a cable in the port. However, if I try to start the system with the GPU in the slot, it starts to boot up and within a second or two turns off and tries rebooting again, repeatedly in an endless cycle. The GPU works just fine in a separate machine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance...

More about : pci gpu mobo

January 21, 2010 1:02:36 PM

I'm just having a hard time visualizing an X58-based system being used with a 16 MB video card. I highly doubt Gigabyte did ANY compatibility testing with that card.

Just because your fans and your drives spin, that does NOT indicate your system is in a bootable state... just means you're getting power to those components. At this point you really don't know what your problem is... it could be a compatibility issue with that ancient card or it could be with your system... either you assembled it incorrectly or else you have a bad part. The best way to start troubleshooting would be to use a more modern video card just to see if you're getting video... if you still don't get video, it's your system and you'll need to build it outside of your case (to eliminate the possibility of any shorts) and then if that doesn't work you have to isolate each component individually because it sounds like you've got a bad part.
January 21, 2010 2:18:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I used the old GPU because the machine is going to be a webserver so I only need enough video support to see the ncurses-based installation of my linux distro for about 30 minutes and then I don't even need a GPU. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's PCI-e GPU tonight and I'll repost on here afterwards. So since the ethernet port lights up when it has a cable in it, isn't that a good sign regarding the mobo?
Related resources
January 21, 2010 5:19:20 PM

Well, getting a link light is definitely a positive sign. I still think you'll know a lot more once you've tried a semi-modern video card.
January 23, 2010 7:03:52 AM

My friend let me borrow a spare PCI-E GPU of his and sure enough it works perfectly; thanks all!!
January 27, 2010 6:11:54 PM

Kinda chuckling at the "thanks all!!!" comment here. Glad it wasn't anything major.
January 27, 2010 7:15:06 PM

haha; thanks rodney_ws!!
!