Sign in with
Your question

4890 poor porformance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2010 1:50:16 AM

Just upgraded from a 256mb 3850 to a 1gb 4890. Iran the benchmark test in World in Conflick.
Avg. fps with the 3850 was 58

Avg. with the 4890 was 44fps.

Am running a core 2 duo 2.66 4gb ddr2 and windows xp pro.
Updated driver from XFX.

Any ideas as what I need to do ?

any advice ideas or thoughts welcome!

Thanks 4 ur time and trouble :) 

More about : 4890 poor porformance

January 15, 2010 5:17:49 AM

First of all install the drivers for amd.com also do a clean uninstall.
1_Download and install driver sweeper from here ( http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/)
2_Download but don't install(yet) latest VGA driver from www.amd.com
3_Uninstall your current VGA driver from add/remove programs and restart and boot to safe mode
4_In safe mode open driver sweeper and click on ATI and then click on Clean and restart and boot normally to windows
5_Install the driver which you downloaded and restart
m
l
January 15, 2010 5:24:17 AM

+^1,and what psu are you using???Is your card overheating??At max loads the temps should be around 75C or lower..
m
l
January 15, 2010 3:06:09 PM

Sounds like a driver problem to me, assuming that you left all the settings exactly the same for the 3850 benchmark run as the 4890 benchmark run. Anyway, it would be best to do a clean format of your system just to be sure. Those older Catalyst drivers you probably first started using with your 3850 can sometimes leave crap behind. What you can do for now is run drive cleaner pro and see if that doesn't fix your problem. You can google "Drive cleaner Pro" and follow the instructions on the website. You could also use drivesweeper and just follow the instructions Maziar gives.
m
l
January 16, 2010 2:23:47 AM

sayantan said:
+^1,and what psu are you using???Is your card overheating??At max loads the temps should be around 75C or lower..

Have a Coolmaster Real Power Pro 650 watt psu I know it isn't the best this was my 1st build about 2 years ago and didn't do my homework on the psu!

Have no idea what temps I'm running have a antec 900 case and installed another fan in the side panal blowing on the vid. card.

I'm on dial up :cry:  took me two and a half hours to down load my drivers ! What a pain!

Thanks 4 the help guys :) 
m
l
January 16, 2010 4:45:26 AM

Do the steps that i said and it may help you because it maybe a driver problem
m
l
January 16, 2010 4:54:13 AM

Beginner1960 said:
Have a Coolmaster Real Power Pro 650 watt psu I know it isn't the best this was my 1st build about 2 years ago and didn't do my homework on the psu!

Have no idea what temps I'm running have a antec 900 case and installed another fan in the side panal blowing on the vid. card.

I'm on dial up :cry:  took me two and a half hours to down load my drivers ! What a pain!

Thanks 4 the help guys :) 

your psu is sufficient for handling your system...looks like its the drivers creating problems..
m
l
January 16, 2010 5:05:23 AM

On getting the temp of card do I down load software 4 that or have to install something inside the pc case? pretty inexperinced at this stuff.
m
l
January 16, 2010 5:52:19 AM

Beginner1960 said:
On getting the temp of card do I down load software 4 that or have to install something inside the pc case? pretty inexperinced at this stuff.

just download gpu-z:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1709/TechPowerUp_G...
install it...run the program and click on sensors....right click on each temperature sensor and select show max temps..minimise gpu-z and run your games...gpuz will record your maximum temperature
m
l
January 16, 2010 11:47:25 PM

sayantan said:
just download gpu-z:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1709/TechPowerUp_G...
install it...run the program and click on sensors....right click on each temperature sensor and select show max temps..minimise gpu-z and run your games...gpuz will record your maximum temperature

Tryed to down load that program from that link wouldn't let me.

Deleted drivers and ran clean up program and reinstalled drivers same performance.

Maybe its just a bad game to juge the two cards on still a big disapointment thought it would have been faster :( 

Thanks 4 the help
m
l
!