Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Removing Intel Cooler and installing 212Evo, Tips?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2012 5:31:04 AM

I am switching from an Intel Stock Cooler(installed last week) to a Hyper 212 Evo w/ Arctic Silver 5, Currently these things are on my shopping list:

1. 90% Rubbing Alochol: Found at local CVS store.
2. Q Tips/ Bounty Paper Towels(don't seem to have lint)

Currently I have read this guide, it is really helpful. I might push-pull in the future but can't afford a good 120mm fan atm.

However I am a bit concerned in term of removing the Intel Stock Cooler:
1. I read quite a few people who damaged their mobo during removal because the push-pin was stuck.
2. I also read about people whose pulled the CPU out along with the Stock Cooler b/c the paste was really sticky.

So how are I doing so far in term of planning? Any tips from guys who did similar things?
September 7, 2012 5:40:34 AM

1: youtube
2: run the rig for a few to let it warm up then turn it off
3: follow instructions from there
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 5:44:53 AM

use coffee filters, its less likely to dust/lint.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 5:46:02 AM

Hey thanks for reading the guide! ;) 

Anyways, you can also read the stock cooler install guide in the sig.

1. Those 4 pins around the cooler: Pull up and turn left, it's basically the opposite of installing the cooler where you push down and then turn right.
2. Very unlikely, the CPU holding mounting system on your board goes on top of the CPU IHS.
September 7, 2012 6:04:48 AM

dudewitbow said:
use coffee filters, its less likely to dust/lint.

I wish I could but I can't find those as easily as I wound q-tip and paper towels.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 7:13:35 AM

This is what i did, and worked like a charm :) 

1-Remove the fan connector from the fan header.
2-Turn the pushpins with a flat bladed screwdriver anticlockwise 90 degrees to release them.

3-Pull up the push pins.
4-Gently twist the fan in a clock and anti clock manner to break the bond between the thermal paste and the heat sink.Remove the Fan.

Cheers!
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 7:23:13 AM

Exactly^^
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2012 7:31:37 AM

Quote:
I also read about people whose pulled the CPU out along with the Stock Cooler b/c the paste was really sticky.

This is very unlikely to happen, as the cpu is locked and held firmly in a processor socket in the motherboard.. Its not that EASY to pull out the processor form the socket without unlocking/opening the socket... After all its a thermal paste, not a Super Glue!
Besides the paste that is pre-applied on the intel heats sink easily comes off without much of a hassle:) 

Quote:
I read quite a few people who damaged their mobo during removal because the push-pin was stuck.

The mobo will be damaged "if and only" an excessive pressure is applied on it.. Please Do not wrestle with the mobo :p 
A gentle touch will make things easy for you:) 

Cheers!
m
l
September 8, 2012 4:26:33 PM

Best answer selected by sherlockwing.
m
l
!