CD's not recognized

Collou

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hello,
CDR R Roms dissapeared from Send To I've checked device manager -says both working properly and enabled. I did a system restore- no help
they wew working a few days ago
I'm unsure as to proper forum, Please refer me to correct one for help.
I am a member o Networking and computing but lost my link. would like help there also

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
So the cd rom is actually working, but the cd rom is not in the Sent To menu when You right click a file?

-Sent to- is a folder that can be found in the
C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\SendTo

Open that , and minimize it.
Go to My computer , right click your cd rom, and click create shortcut. It can't create it there, so it will create a shortcut on desktop.
Go to the desktop, and cut the newly created shortcut, and paste it in the SendTo folder.

Now try it.

:hello:

Collou

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I can't find the doments and settings folder. I tried putting a period (.) in run
It shows my documents app data, favorites,desk top,start menu,windows,debug,ntuser,udownload,presets,and somethin that looks like Y:Y file

No docs and settings
I greatly appreciate your help

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
hi again!
If you have XP you HAVE a Documents And Settings folder in the partition where your Windows is installed.

I'm not sure why you're using Run, but where you found the "my documents app data, favorites,desk top,star" that IS the Documents And Settings folder.

In there is the Sent To folder.
I realized today, when U said U didn't found it, that it is a hidden folder(yeah...sorry, I know, my fault! ), which means, you need first to :
-open any folder, and go to the Tools menu. Then choose Folder Options.
-on the View tab, under the Hidden files and folders, make sure you check the
Show Hidden files And folders option and click apply.
Now, when U go to the Documents And Settings folder you should see the Sent To folder.Open it and minimize it.

Then, like I said in the first message,
"Go to My computer , right click your cd rom, and click create shortcut. It can't create it there, so it will create a shortcut on desktop.
Go to the desktop, and Right click and cut the newly created shortcut, and paste it in the SendTo folder.

That's it!
:hello:

Collou

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Ok so you say there IS a documents and settings folder in Xp
that doesn't tell me how to access it
You gotta remember I'm not as learned as you
Thanks

The registry is corrupted by an update, leaving the CD / DVD inoperable.
You can use the registry editor to fix it, often times.
The problem has been reported hundreds of times, here on Tom's hardware.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Collou

Honorable
May 18, 2012
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

When I open I don’t see a right pane. It shows default, icon etc Nowhere can I see anything regarding filters. I'm probably not following instructions but please direct me
Appreciate you help. I need more

Collou

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I found upper filters in 2 registry keys and deleted them--Didn't help
couldn't find lower filters anywhere. Tried to use micosoft fix it but it has a problem
Any other solutions? Even if I bought new CD Roms, would they even work with this problem?
I really need to be able to send to and burn disks
Please help